Remote Login Woes

Berhune

Registered
My father is having difficulty connecting his FreeBSD Linux to my Mac OS X 10.2.2 after a clean install via SSH. In fact, any attempt to remotely log in to any account on the Mac is greeted with an error accusing "too many authentication errors."
My father suggested that perhaps the error is in the Daemon that manages the "good" or "bad" status of certain users, and that somehow, this Daemon has become rather disaffected with everyone. Killing the Daemon's process and rebooting to restart it yielded no results, so it must have stored the problematic information in a file somewhere on the disk (/etc?).
The network connection is functional, and my father can still mount exported volumes designated by NetInfo. Could this be a problem with the new rendezvous management? There was no problem in Mac OS 10.1.5.
Any suggestions as to how I can reconcile my poor, uncooperative, Remote Login?

Just a quick suggestion.

Have you gone into the /localuser/.ssh folder?
I do not know where it resides on versions of BSD, however on Mac OS X and Darwin systems it resides in your home folder

i.e. ~/Users/username/.ssh

Once in there maybe you should blow away the known_hosts file located on the BSD server and try again.

Not totally sure here, jsut a quick thought

I can't find the directory that you specified. I am using 'ls -a' to list all the contents of my Users/myname/ directory, and it isn't displayed.
I'm fairly sure that the problem is with the Mac system, and that it's some config file in the system directories, because Mac OS X refuses with the same error all users who try to log in. Is there any 'known_clients' like file for my system? Would a good spelunk in /etc/sshd_config or /etc/ssh_config yield me results? Somewhere, that nasty little Daemon has stored information that the Free BSD client is bad.

Thanks.

Back