Remote printing question

lurch723

Registered
I'm having fun trying to get a network printer to print remotely via the internet and need some clues as to where I'm going wrong.

I have a Mac OSX server happily working away as a DNS and AFP file server. Now what I want to do is to be able to open up any file and print so the file prints at the servers location and not where I am accessing it from remotely.

I purchased a HP Officejet 6700 and that is connected to the network using the Ethernet,

obviously the Mac Server has a static IP address as well.

It all prints fine across the network but I cannot seam to get anywhere trying it as an IP printer.

So what's the best way to go about this?

(my fall back is to print to PDF and throw the PDF in a "to print file" but it seams rediculous to double the work load!)

If you want to open your local network to the outside world than more power to you. Just remember poking holes in your firewall to set this up will take time. I feel if you have users that travel it would be better if they VPN into your server for local print serves. This would be much safer way to manage roaming users.

OS X server (you never said what version of OS X Server you are running) has a VPN server setup built in. You can see this in YouTube and you can see some search results to setup VPN Server. Once you get the VPN server running then all the clients have to use a VPN client software to connect to the server. That's how VPN works, VPN client software connects to VPN server software.

Back