Remote Server Monitoring

themacnut

Registered
I'm looking for a free or low cost server monitoring application that runs natively on OS X (or Classic as a second choice). I'd like it to be able to monitor such services as ping, web, mail, ftp, etc, at preconfigured intervals, and I should be able to look at it and tell at a glance what's up or down.

And it should be able to do this on a server that's not on my local network.

Is there such an app? I couldn't find any on Versiontracker (none that were free or low cost, anyway....)

I administer another network that is off-site that has a few macs and pcs and I found it useful (usually when they call to say their internet or WAN connection isnt working) to login to the firewall/router and check the attached devices - this gives the ip addresses, username etc of all the machines connected at that time.
Probably not as much versatility as you'd need but its a start...

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately I won't have access to the firewall or router for this server I'm looking after.

Any other suggestions? Any remote monitoring apps out there for the Mac?

find someone to write a shell script for you then run it in cron, have it log the results or email them to you. Pretty simple really. I would have a go but i am in the lead up to some hard-as exams at uni.

Remember mac os x is unix and all the processes you want to monitor will be unix programs, try searching some linux sites...

If they're not behind a firewall you can probably get away with running timbuktu on one of the machines and connecting to it via tcp/ip. I have not tried this yet from one network to another but i have done it over our WAN and it works flawlessly. Nice thing about it is it runs on both windows and mac (9 and OS/X) platforms...
Also, wouldn't it be possible to set up a VPN connection to their network so you can actually check resources etc as a node from your own machine?

Back