Remove Microsoft from "Kind" Finder column?

tlmurray

Registered
I prefer very short "Kind" names in the Finder's column view: Word Doc instead of Microsoft Word Document, or Acrobat Doc for Adobe Acrobat Document, for example.

In OS 9 you could change this simply by changing the name of the executable; in OS X apps in packages, you can change certain plist entries. But I can't figure out how to change it in Microsoft Office 2004 applications, which are not packages.

Anyone know how to do this? This Mac, a PowerBook with 10.4.6, has Classic, by the way. Thanks.

You'd have to edit the "info.plist" file in the given application. Control-click Microsoft Word in the Finder, and select "Show Package Contents". Open the "Contents/Info.plist" file in a text editor, and replace "Microsoft Word Document" with whatever you want. It'll be after the text "<key>CFBundleTypeName</key>".

Save changes, MOVE the application to a different folder (this forces the Finder to update its database info for the app) and then move it right back, and that should do it. If you don't see the change take effect immediately, you might need to log out.

Mikuro said:
You'd have to edit the "info.plist" file in the given application.

Thanks, but as I said in my original post, the Office apps are not packages. Or, at least they do not offer a "Show Package Contents".

Ah, sorry. Guess I wasn't reading right.

In that case, you need to edit the "kind" resource of the application with a resource editor like Resorceror, ResKnife or Rezilla (the only one of those apps I can vouch for is Resorceror, but it's also the only one that's not free).

Same process, basically. Edit the text, save, move the app.

Back