Removing Aqua / X's "Bell's and Whistle's" ...?

Ok, so firstly, i own an iBook 500 /320Mb Machine, so as ya know, its no PowerMac, but i too own and frequently use an XP machine, that too isn't comparable to a PowerMac (K7 900MHz / 768Mb / GF3) But the general GUI Speed is Massi ve!

I like to use my iBook, and look forward to buying a Desktop machine to make my PC *fingers crossed* redundant!

But until then, i'd like to try and speed up my Jaguar equipped iBook, altho i've used X, from 10 - 10.2, i still find it VERY slow to do most stuff in, (namely because i am used to the speed of Windows GUI).

Now, i found, ditching the text, which appears on mouse over (on the dock) actually speeds the dock up LOADS (when magnification is on!), and so i am pretty pleased with transparent dock!

But by doing so, it kinda reminded me, of the good ol' days, when i hacked the HELL out of XP (you guys probably remember?) to replicate the aqua *look* (look only i guess :p ), but after doing so, i noticed on my PC, the speed was very simular to how it is, on my iBook, but due to the fact, i had added all the GUI extra's, i knew how to take them away, to speed my machine up once more.

And so, i was kinda hoping you guys could give me some pointers, as to ways i could increase speed somehow?!

things i had thought about was, well, losing all the transparency stuff, i mean, with Inactive windows, Save dialog boxes, and such! Could i, maybe use Duality, with a modified aqua theme, that doesn't have transparencies?! Would Duality reflect to the System hogg of Windows Blinds?! :rolleyes:

Another thought, was shadowing, yes it looks nice, but if its comparable to how things were when i implemented it into XP, it'll do me more good to disable it, it must be possible?! :confused:

if anyone could think of anyways, or point ANYTHING out to me, i'd appreciate that!!

thanks!

Neyo

there's an app by Unsanity, unsanity.com, called Shadowkiller. that'll do what it says :)

I dunno about getting rid of transparencies with duality, but it sounds like it might work, you'll have to look into it more.

there are themes without transparencies

there is an opaque aqua theme but its built on the old x not on jaguar, im waiting for someone to build a jaguar opaque theme, shouldnt be too hard no?

shadow killer helps, get rid of your desktop back ground

no screensaver

defragment the drive everynow and then, run fsck and permissions repairs... well thats all i know

those are things i do to keep the power in my power mac :)

lurking into this I disovered some tips here:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/OSX/os_x_performance_tips.html

they're a bit old, but I think they may be useful to some and I'm especially interested in windows compression in 10.2, as well as the font smoothing issue...

I have my Genie fx turned off... it's a *dumb* effect for me so i just turned the scaling effect on... i don't know how to hack off the text, if you could share, please do so...

Turning off the transparency in the windows seems to be a popular suggestion, and i'm wondering if that can be directly in the .plist files... if anyone knows how to do this please share with the rest of the class!

Two system performance boosts I'm looking into is the swapfile switch... or rather putting the swapfile cache on a different partition or seperate hard drive. There are some that say the performance boost isn't worth the effort but who knows, maybe every little bit helps. Also something that I think Apple needs is a front-end to the process manager "renice", which basically lets the user assign priority to which processes are goin' on... there are a few freeware apps I've seen but they're not as robust as they might need to be for the average user to get into.

I have to say that I agree that the XP GUI is REALLY responsive... and even though I'm using OSX and am getting used to the speed, i'm always envious when I use XP... I'm thinking we need to start a serious petition to make sure Apple makes speed a top priority in jaguar...

:cool:

well i just checked the window compression in Jaguar, and it's already activated by default, which i suspected, 'cause i really don't have any window speed issues on my eMac. To check it out I ran Quartz Debug from the developers CD and it tells you which windows are compressed... they have a "C" after them...

I imagine this font smoothing thing has been taken care of as well, which leaves me to draw one conclusion:

I H8 G4!!!! (where's the balling my eyes out icon?) :confused: :(

I would like to be able to globally disable text smoothing. I think those antialiasing calculations are what really slows down the GUI and makes it less responsive.

It's obvious why a pc with XP is more responsive than Jaguar is...
Xp doesn't have as much shadow effect on it's windows, nearly no transparency anywhere, and no text antialiasing.

No wonder why Xp is responsive. However, it would be nice, if you were able to customize some of the eyecandy in Jaguar to fit your own speed needs.

Personally, though, I like the Jag GUI more than the Xp one. And with a new mac with QE, you shouldn't have too much of a problem.
(Getting a new mac to replace my iMac 400 SE DV SOON!)

- Fred

Back