Removing Files Notice

p33ka03

Registered
Okay this is the deal...and I find it so very frustrating. I will have a application (example AIM) in the Application folder and I will try to delete it and it says it cant. Says that the folder can not be modified.:rolleyes: I cant stand this...what the hell is this? WHAT HAPPENED TO MY FREEDOM?!?!?!?! *pout* Help?:confused:

-Hil

You want Mac OS X to behave like OS 9 when it comes to file permissions? Well, first you have to enable root (the super user, alowed to do anything he/she wants, just like in OS 9). To do that, launch NetInfo Manager (in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder) and select Domain menu ->Security sum-menu ->Enable Root menu item. It will ask for your admin password, this is the password you entered when you installed OS X. Enter the password you want root to have. Now, quit NetInfo and log out. For your login name, type "root". For the password, enter the password that you entered for root. Note: they say not to always log in as root, but I don't care. It's just as dangerous as OS 9, and it's not like I accidentally deleted the System Folder.

On that particular subject: I've had problems with file permissions even as root user! Sometimes I need to boot OS 9 to delete the files I want... weird!?

Oh and... you're right of course. your iBook DOESNT look like a purse. It reminds me more of an "attach-it-yourself" colorful Toilet Seat... ;)

If a file or folder is locked, then it can't be deleted no matter who owns it until it's unlocked. I know, that can be frustrating, but that's what locked means.

What's really annoying is when a developer feels the need to have any of his/her applications' files marked as locked.

-Rob

Originally posted by Trilogy
Oh and... you're right of course. your iBook DOESNT look like a purse. It reminds me more of an "attach-it-yourself" colorful Toilet Seat... ;)

At least my toilet looks nice;)! I think I'll change that quote now...

no no harder

the files are not locked. the problem dissapeared after update to 10.0.4 though. still cant delete files inside invisible folders? special command there?

Back