Removing Genre's in iTunes...How?

kafene

Registered
Hey guys,

I did a search and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for... I must have missed it because I can't believe that no one's asked this yet, so let me first apoloogize for my lack of "search" skills. :)

I'm trying to better organize my iTunes music. I'm assigning Genres, but I'm trying to reduce the amounts of Genres I use. (i.e. "hip-hop/rap" rather than "rap" OR "hip-hop"). I now have this BIG Genre list where most will not be used. How do I delete the one's I will no longer be using?

TIA,
kafene.

OK, lets say for instance you wanted to replace "hip-hop" "R&B/Rap" and "R&B" with just one genre, "Rap". The first thing you'd need to do is select all the songs in those genres. This can be achieved easily by using the browse button that appears in the upper right when in Library view. You can select genres directly, command-clicking genres will allow you to select multiple genres. Once you've got the list of songs, Cmd-A will select them all, then Cmd-I to display information.

You can set whatever genre you want in the edit multiple song information window.

Hope that makes sense.

Hehe..Thanks Symphonics but that wasn't quite what I meant. I want to actually DELETE unused Genre's from the iTunes tab. ;)

kafene.

Genres that is not from the basic set is deleted when there is no songs left containing that genre. So open the browser and select the genres you don´t want and change the songs to a different genre.
don´t know how to remove the basic genres.

HI

I happen to have the same issue as Kafene, no one there as a clue on deleting useless basic genres ? :confused:

Gig' said:
HI

I happen to have the same issue as Kafene, no one there as a clue on deleting useless basic genres ? :confused:

Gig',

I never ended up deleting the main genre's. I used as many of the genres that were part of the basic set-up and added just a few of mine own. I used the basic set as much as I could.

I don't know how you organize your actual music folders, but the way I do it, I place them into folders that are named the genre. For example, I put all my rock music into a folder named ROCK. When I get a new band, I assign the genre of the music to ROCK before I put in into the folder ROCK. Once I did all that (took about three days to completely organize all my music with the genres I wanted), it's not so bad because, if you're like me, I'm not adding music on a daily basis, and I can easily see what Genres I'm using by looking at my music folder organization.

Hope this helps at all. There was a thread/reply regarding editing some file with a HexEditor or BBEdit, but when I looked into the file, I noticed a lot of different music that wasn't even part of the list. I tried deleting some of the genres I didn't want, but nothing happened, except my iTunes kept crashing and would not open. Luckily, I copied the file I was editing so I could put back the unedited document to get my iTunes working.

kafene.

i think we do need still to find out how to delete crap genres

whenever a new genre is introduced to iTunes, it adds it to the list of available genres, not just active genres - if you pull down the menu when aplying a genre, hundreds of genres are still there, even if there is nothing on the HDD with that genre.

there must be some kind of file that stores this information, and just never deletes them. what is this file

any ideas? cause it's bugging me as well now...

It's not Apple's domain to adjust what the standard genre list shows - that's part of the ID3 tag standard that iTunes complies to.

So short of de-compiling iTunes and replacing a shorter list in its place into the actual program, you're going to have to deal with it.

That list in the Get-Info display is there because that's what ID3 tags HAVE.

just a theoretical: if you did a clean install of itunes, or even macOS - would hose dead genres still be there? i dont think so - pointing to a registry file somewhere that iutnes keeps. for such a logical and well organised program, this seems to be a bug. i entered a typo'd genre today - it will always be there now, as a useless genre, regardless of the fact i changed it afterwards.... grr

Texanpenguin

Many thanks for your contribution it explains clearly why we have to deal with it.::ha::

Thanks kafene for your tips/suggestions on organising the music folders.

I wish Apple could consider disabling music genre in forthcoming iTunes that if the ID3Tag constraint can be dealt with, I'm sure it would make Lt Major Burns and myself very happy, let alone the other frustated users who cannot satisfy themselves with plain ROCK or POP genres :mad:

no, i was wrong - when you remove all songs from a genre not in the original ID3 standard list, it removes itself. i only just realised this - the ID3 tags are plentifuls, although i prefer to use my own...

apologies for stupidity!

Back