removing local user folders

jcombs_31

Registered
When you log in with a network account on OS X it creates a local folder in the users directory. I want this folder to be deleted when a user logs out. Can this be done?

Interesting news…

In fact, I never saw something like a local User Folder, when a network user logged in. You mean the /Users directory? AFAIK the User's home is mounted on some of the Unixdirs, and just unmounted when the User logs out.

So nothing is to do there…

Well, I've looked and there is. I'm authenticating with Active Directory and controlling with Open Directory. It creates a local folder in the users directory. It can get quite large with many users I'm sure and I want to limit that.

So, what you can do is one of two things:

Create network home directories, so that one home folder follows a user from machine to machine, but doesn't install itself on the machine itself.

or

Script a solution to delete out any user data at a specified interval. Be careful not to delete out the local admin account! You could always move the local admin account to a different directory (not in /Users) and update the Netinfo record to reflect this move. Then you could just have a script that deletes everything in /Users on a cron task, like every night at midnight or such. If you don't want to move accounts, include in the script to check the directory name and as long as its not the admin, delete it.

hope this helps

Michael

Go3iverson said:
So, what you can do is one of two things:

Create network home directories, so that one home folder follows a user from machine to machine, but doesn't install itself on the machine itself.

Is there a document on doing this (making network home directories).

Thx, Kees

Kees Buijs said:
Is there a document on doing this (making network home directories).

Thx, Kees

Since you mentioned you are using AD accounts, all you need tot do is make sure that you have a home dir listed in the user's profile in AD then in the dir access on the client make sure that "Force local home...." is not checked and that "Use UNC path is checked"

Back