Removing OS X

DeathWolf

Registered
So let's say I install os x beta on my main hard disk alongside the existing os 9, and decide, after a few weeks, to remove os x and go back to a purely classic environment... is this possible to do? Is it easy to do? am i taking too much of a risk installing os x BETA on my main drive with all my important files on it? would it be any safer with a partition? thanks in advance..

-dw
=)

I have read in other forums that there will be an uninstall option that will return you to OS 9 with your original system folder etc....

I've used the beta and when I removed it there were still hidden folders on my OS9 partition. They appeared when I ran Norton on OS9 and I couldn't get rid of them so I just reformatted and reinstalled OS9.

You can just boot back into Mac OS 9, and throw as much of Mac OS X as you can find into the trash. There will still be some invisible things that get left behind, but they won't affect your Mac OS 9 system.

-pmb

I had a problem with OSX and tried to uninstall it, and reinstall. However, the invisible files that are left behiend are keeping the Re-Install from being complete. It seems to install successfully, but when it starts up instead of going through the setup assistant and asking me for my login and password as a new user on a fresh install, it just wants to know my login and Password. I try to login, it just sits there and the screen flashes. So, i guess I'll have to blow away my drive and start from ground zero. This really SUCKS!

I solved my own problem, I found by using Resedit that there were indeed hidden files left on my main drive from the attempts to Re-Install OSX. I could see them with Resedit but could not delete them. So I went looking on Macdownload.com for a program tht would let me find and delete hidden files and I found the best piece of software that YOU MUST HAVE if you are going to play around with OSX Public Beta.

It's called Ghost Hunter 1.5 and after cleaning house with GH 1.5 I found that the Re-install went as beautifully as if I had Nuked my HD and started from scratch.

Originally posted by joseph
I had a problem with OSX and tried to uninstall it, and reinstall. However, the invisible files that are left behiend are keeping the Re-Install from being complete. It seems to install successfully, but when it starts up instead of going through the setup assistant and asking me for my login and password as a new user on a fresh install, it just wants to know my login and Password. I try to login, it just sits there and the screen flashes. So, i guess I'll have to blow away my drive and start from ground zero. This really SUCKS!

Try using File Buddy to get rid of all the invisible files. Get it form download.com. It's the coolest HD file utility program I've ever used. you can search for and delete any invisible file or folder you want!

I've got DP4 running on an iMac. When I try to install the Beta, it tells me that I have to re-format the hard disk, naturally destroying the exisitng OS9 installation.

I'm not very pleased about this.
I'm searching for uninstall instructions to get rid of DP4.
So far the best solution seems to involve careful weeding out of invisible files. Not very nice at all.

You <b>must</b> reformat a DP4 disk to install beta. The installer isn't forcing you to do this just because the installer engineers thought it would be cute.

There are components in the DP4 installation that are not regular files in the filesystem that you can find and delete by hand.

Back up your data, and reformat your disk.

-pmb

Try using File Buddy to get rid of all the invisible files. Get it form download.com. It's the coolest HD file utility program I've ever used. you can search for and delete any invisible file or folder you want!

Those utitlities are probably the easiest and the safest, but in a pinch you can just use Sherlock to do a search for invisible files and manipulate them from Sherlock's window. Just hit the Edit button beside "custom." You might have to hold down the option or command key (I forget which) with earlier versions of Sherlock and Find to get the invisible files option.

Originally posted by joseph
I solved my own problem, I found by using Resedit that there were indeed hidden files left on my main drive from the attempts to Re-Install OSX. I could see them with Resedit but could not delete them. So I went looking on Macdownload.com for a program tht would let me find and delete hidden files and I found the best piece of software that YOU MUST HAVE if you are going to play around with OSX Public Beta.

It's called Ghost Hunter 1.5 and after cleaning house with GH 1.5 I found that the Re-install went as beautifully as if I had Nuked my HD and started from scratch.

I have had same problem (lack of success in re-install). Which invisible files did you sack? There are a large number on my machine, and I don't want to get rid of files I may otherwise need for other applications.

Use the invisible file zapper of your choice and get rid of all invisible files that fall under the modification date of you OSX install. files like .kernal and .etc and .temp

Once you get rid of those files OSX will install fine.

Back