Removing Software

celtictricky

Registered
Hi,

Being new to the mac world, I'm still finding things out. Can someone tell me please how to uninstall software. I have installed a few demo's to look at but do not know how to remove them! Feel quite silly really!!!! ::ha::

Thanks.

Rich

Just drag the application into the trash. It's simple and a nice change from Windows.

wow! That simple? :eek:
Man! Steve Jobs must have worked overtime to come out this simple step and BGates must have lost his way in finding SJ's way :p

Can't wait to get my hands dirty this weekend ;)

there are some softwares that needs to be uninstalled, but in many cases in the installing file you may find the uninstall utility... another good option is to search in the finder window for the name of the app, and you can find all is recquired to be deleted....

Actually, if the software uses an installer to install itself in your machine, you can launch that installer to uninstall the software as well. I know this was possible in the days of OS 9 and earlier, where you would get the options "Easy Install," "Custom Install," and "Custom Remove." I believe that is still the case in OS X. Try launching the installer for your apps and see if those options come up.

Just to clarify, you should normally just drag a program from your Applications folder to the trash to remove it from your system (similar to an uninstall in windows.) Doing this, however, will leave whatever preference files that were associated with that app intact. These preference files usually reside in ~/Library/Application Support and ~/Library/Preferences. If you want to "completely" remove an app, you should also delete its preference files. However, this is usually unnecessary since they take up little space and can be beneficial incase you need to reinstall that application.

It is normally not necessary to go searching for preference or additional files created by programs except under special circumstances (i.e. the app stops working and you want to start from scratch.)

For some complex applications, it's necessary to run that app's installer again and choose uninstall from the pulldown menu. Just deleting a program's application folder though is sufficient 90% of the time.

StarBuck said:
DesInstaller is available from versiontracker.com

Its very handy.

I just downloaded that program...i like Force Delete better, but thats in My own opionion. Keep that on my desktop all the time. just in case

Back