Removing unwanted languages in Pages

Omega

Registered
I have used Pages for a long time and enjoy it immensely but I am now getting frustrated by Apple insistence in setting the default language to English where it is definitely NOT, as it is American (English). I work at a English school with over two hundred macs and would like to remove all languages from the macs especially 'American English' and leave it as proper English (British); as teachers are finding that students spellcheck their work thinking they are using the English dictionary and getting marked for incorrect spelling.

Does anyone know how to do this or what resource should be removed?

Thanks

If this is going to be a system wide thing, try going to system preferences/language & text/then click the formats tab and set the region drop down menu to uk. Further down you can ajust time and calenders outputs also. This is for 10.6 so if it an earlier OS its probably under system preferences/international. If it works on one machine, then just set up an image with those settings for distribution to all machines.

System Prefs -> International (or language & text) -> Language tab -> Edit and uncheck those you don't want and as it will say, "click and drag the languages into the order you want".

BTW: There's a timely article at http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20032089-263.html you might want to read.

Be very careful of using any 'stripper' such as Monolongual etc. without reading the FAQ. especially regarding most Adobe apps and MS Office '08, they won't update properly if stripped.

PS: You can locate the appropriate '.lprog' languages in an application: Right-click on the app > show contents and you'll find them in the 'Resourced' folder.

DO NOT ever delete any 'en.' or 'english.' .lprog folder!!!

I had already structured the language preference but students still choose English as their dictionary.

Thanks for the warning about localisation.

I will have a play with the resources but if English is American then I think I am going to be stuck.

Gheese!!! This is sure crazier than it should be!!!

I'm a bit of a Moningual but VERY careful user and I have NEVER deleteted any "English" listed language.

I do a 'get info' on Pages (the iWorks '09 version) and only "English" is listed as an option and sure as H___, typing 'colour' gets flagged but not 'color', so I guess we know what 'english' dictionary they are using.

So off to Google, which you might also want to try and search for 'Mac Pages british english dictionary' and find many hits with the same problem.

One site was helpful that might work of you was at:
http://pushingthesky.net/2009/06/05...-in-mac-osx-pages-australian-british-english/

Just bizarre Apple!! I never realized such a basic thing would be such a hassle for so many users.

Hey, it may not be as bad as I thought.

I just tried using the System Prefs for International and clicked and dragged the 'British English' in the list to the top and restarted and Pages iWork '09 now flags 'color' as a mistake and 'colour' is not.

But isn't this a bit backward way for the students to learn rather than them using a built-in and proper English students spellcheck???

PS: I was surprised to find my resurrected 'Spell Catcher' that I doubt that I'll use any more wanted another $12.00+ cdn just for a 'Canadian dictionary'.

EDIT: Using Intel iMac and Mac OS X 10.5.8 for various supported reasons that 10.6.x doesn't do.
I think not and just carry on and make the occasional spelln mistrake!! ;-)

Last edited:
With every Mac application there are associated some language files to make them available for other language people.

If you want to remove those language files (unnecessary for you) , get the Stellar Speed Up Mac installed at your Mac machine.

Usually the Mac applications are associated with language files which make them available in different languages. If you work only in english then other language files are are simply a wastage of hard drive space. You can get rid of these language files using Stellar speed up Mac.

No thanks!! That software seems like an over-priced and potentially dangerous utility and one would be MUCH safer using the previously mentioned 'Monolingual' - and it's free!!

Back