Rename files and folders for windows users

concept27

Registered
Hi,

We are running a 95% Windows shop and we have 3 Mac designers. I have OS X Tiger Server integrated in the Active Directory and a RAID Array attached to it where designers and other users save and access files. We currently have about 150 GB of files on 2 Firewire drives that need to be moved over. Everytime we try we get this message saying some files have odd characters and the transfer fails. Is there any way to run a script or a small program that scans all the files and folders for odd characters and changes the names to a windows friendly name? Any hlep is greatly appreciated.

Henry

So, your trying to move the Mac OS X Server user data to a Windows Server?

Why?

You could just share the data to both platforms. What methods are you using to attempt to copy the data from the firewire drives? Or, is the use of the firewire drives even necessary?

Sorry for not being clear enough. I am not moving files to a Windows server. Users have saved their files on local Firewire drives. Since we got the RAID Array we would like to centralize the files by moving them over to the RAID array, which is also a firewire connected to a standalone server running MAC OS X Tiger Server Edition. The problem is when moving the files, it gets interrupted by an error indicating some files have odd naming convention and contain characters. The files are accessible to both mac and win users without a problem. I would like to remove any odd characters in the files and folders in a batch since there are 1000's of folders.

concept27 said:
Sorry for not being clear enough. I am not moving files to a Windows server. Users have saved their files on local Firewire drives.

In what way are you moving the files ? Maybe the UTILITY used is having a problem with the names. Using another UTILITY may solve you problem as the NAMES does not same to be invalid. Maybe the TERMINAL utility of OS X will copy the files correctly.

Good Luck, Kees

Back