Renamed files/folders "blinking" in Finder!

Syncopator

Registered
This is driving me up a wall: When you create a new folder on the desktop, it appears with the name "untitled folder," highlighted and ready for you to type in its new name. And typically, it will *sit* there, quietly, until you type the new name and hit Return/Enter.

But on my PowerBook, for a coupe of weeks now, it's as if there's a ghost hitting an invisible "Return" key -- 3 times -- anywhere from 2-5 seconds after the new folder is created, which "accepts" the current title whether I've typed anything or not!

So -- if I pause momentarily, before renaming a folder, it's as if I'd hit Return 3 times:

Return #1 -- "untitled folder" becomes the accepted name; then
Return #2 -- "untitled folder" is highlighted again, as if to be changed; then
Return #3 -- "untitled folder" becomes the accepted name again!

This happens in rapid succession, hence the "blinking" effect I described. As the folder title is accepted, then highlighted, then accepted again, in rapid succession, it looks like the folder is "blinking."

Even if I begin typing the new folder name right away, this "blinking" thing interrupts me and accepts the incomplete name I've begun to type -- even before I'm finished!!! This is driving me bananas!!!

OK. So I've:

Trashed Finder prefs
Repaired permissions
Run Cron scripts
Run Panther Cache cleaner's "deep cleaning" scripts

Not sure what else to do, short of reinstalling the system, but I really, really don't want to do that, right now....

Any suggestions?? Help!!!!!

Thanks....

Check the Universal Access panel in System Preferences. You might have sticky keys set to on.
Check the Keyboard panel to change the repeat speed.

I found this happens once in a while. Logging out and back in often clears it up, but repairing permissions also clears it up if the issue persists.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had already logged out/in, restarted, repaired permissions, and even run Disk Warrior -- to no avail. So as a last resort, in desperation, I reinstalled Panther.

Problem solved.

Thanks....

Back