Renamed Folder on Desktop and it Disappeared

dmetzcher

Metzcher.com
I just renamed a folder on my desktop and it disappeared. The folder name was "temp". I renamed it to "Temp" (capital T). I simply clicked on the folder, pressed Return, re-typed the folder name with a capital T, and it disappeared. It wasn't in the Trash. I opened Terminal and checked to see if it was there in the Desktop directory and just hidden from view on the Desktop itself but there was no trace of it.

I grabbed a copy of the folder from an hour ago via Time Machine and renamed it without any issues. There was only one file in the folder, but I want to be sure it's not hanging around somewhere. Why did this happen and how can I check to see if this folder and the single file it contained are..."stuck"(?) somewhere in limbo?

============

This is...weird. I just did a Spotlight search and found the missing Temp folder. It's located here...

Macintosh HD > Desktop > Temp

I did not create the Desktop folder at the root of the startup volume (Macintosh HD). It appears that it was created and the Temp folder was moved into it when I renamed the Temp folder. In fact, the Created time of this "Desktop" folder is exactly the time that I changed the name of the Temp folder from "temp" to "Temp" (when it disappeared), which was 9:31 PM.

Why did this happen? Is it any indication of a larger issue? Should I be worried?

Also...I assume that it's ok if I delete the Desktop folder (which contains only the missing Temp folder) at the root of Macintosh HD. Is that correct?

Last edited:
First, have you repaired permissions yet? Do that first before you do anything else.

Get the app called TinkerTool and activate Finder Quit option. Quit Finder and start it again, no reboot, and any files should reappear, including your renamed folder.

You can also turn on "hidden files" to see all hidden files on your computer starting with the desktop, but only run this temporarily and then turn it off. You don't always need to see these files, but the Temp folder should show up.

First, have you repaired permissions yet? Do that first before you do anything else.

Get the app called TinkerTool and activate Finder Quit option. Quit Finder and start it again, no reboot, and any files should reappear, including your renamed folder.

You can also turn on "hidden files" to see all hidden files on your computer starting with the desktop, but only run this temporarily and then turn it off. You don't always need to see these files, but the Temp folder should show up.

I had repaired permissions prior to this happening. The only thing I did that was out of the ordinary was play around with CandyBar and re-theme my folders a few times.

Quitting and restarting the Finder won't really help because I found the missing folder. It wasn't hidden. See my original post. When I renamed the folder, it disappeared. It was no longer on the Desktop. I proved this by re-creating it there. I found it later and it had been moved to Macintosh HD > Desktop > Temp. Prior to this, Macintosh HD > Desktop did not exist. The creation time of this folder was the exact moment that I renamed the Temp folder on the Desktop (when it disappeared from the Desktop and moved to this new folder at the root of Macintosh HD).

My concern is that this is not normal behavior and I wanted to know if it's an indication of something more.

Back