Repairing OSX in target mode

writerjen

Registered
Hi--

Quick ( I think) question. I installed Tiger on my iMac via Target mode quite a while ago (shortly after Tiger came out, but I don't really know how long it's been). Since then, I've only repaired permissions (which I do regularly) because I don't have easy access to more extensive repair utilities. Needless to say, my workhorse iMac is getting slower every day.

1. Can I run disk utilities from the installation disk in target mode?

2. What's the best third-party disk utility solution for OSX?

Thanks!

Try OnyX for Tiger: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11582
It's a great rebuild utility. Updates prebindings (kind of like permissions in the core of the system) and does cache cleaning for files you don't need to save. Is perfectly safe for your system.

Also, boot in safe/root mode to repair your system in addition to repairing permissions: restart and hold command + S till black screen with white text shows up/type fsck -f/type reboot when process is finished.

Also, make sure your hard drive isn't more than 50% full. Virtual memory is often utilized the more apps that are open, this means hard drive space is used. The less hard drive space, the less extra room you have on the drive to support your RAM.

How much RAM do you have in your comp? More RAM usually boosts computer performance since OS X, especially Tiger, is a RAM hog. :)

Awesome! Used Onyx (love it), took 8 gigs of stuff off my hard drive. I have 512 MB of RAM, so that's not it. Safari is snappier than in ages. Thank!

Glad OnyX worked for you! Repeat the steps once a month or as needed.

Actually, for Tiger 512RAM can be a factor since it's such a memory hog. I think the requirement for use is 256RAM and with enough apps open you can use up 512 rather quickly these days. ;)

Back