Repairing Permissions in Leopard...1st time...

rmpmw

Registered
Hello,

After installing Leopard and moving over all sorts of software, re-installing etc, I wanted to repair the permissions just to make sure everything was ok,
but when I went into disk repair, and when I try to repair permissions, it just sits there forever.....Is it supposed to take a long time to repair permissions the first time out? - I did a complete erase / install and my HD is 400GB,
I set up only one partition....

Any Ideas?

- Ray

maybe it's still updating spotlight index or doing something else preventing disk utility from working correctly?

hm. same problem _here_ it seems. :/ anyone know what's to do? both starting from the leo DVD and from within the booted leopard system, permissions can't be repaired, the process just hangs around.

oh, it's not the same problem here. after letting it sit for 20 minutes, it simply said it was done. no messages appearing though, like it didn't have to do anything... hmm...

It just takes its time without actually telling you its doing anything. Just let it run and it will finish eventually.

Hmm... I'm considering this a bug, actually. Something like repairing file permissions should _always_ be verbose, or at least show some kind of a progress bar - but still report what was changed at the end.

I noticed that repairing permissions on a new Leopard install led to THOUSANDS of repairs on language localizations (in .app contents). It eventually finished.

Hmm... I'm considering this a bug, actually. Something like repairing file permissions should _always_ be verbose, or at least show some kind of a progress bar - but still report what was changed at the end.

Oh no doubt its a bug, or at the very least poor programming. I'm just saying its most likely working, it just doesn't appear to be doing so.

My installation takes it's time checking file permissions also, but I do have the "barber pole" activity indicator telling me that it's busy doing something.
I doubt that it's a bug though, probably just Leopard what with all the new goodies has a lot more to check.
I recall Panther was slower at this then Tiger, so maybe we are just spoiled.

jb.

Hi,
Instead of installing System Leopard on my primary internal drive (processor upgraded G4), I decided to upgrade an external "emergency" firewire boot drive. The install apparently went well. There were no aborts, errors, or snags.

Upon restart (and booting to the external firewire drive), the grey screen appeared, the apple appeared, then the screen went blue. I left it for half an hour, returned and it was still blue.

Tried force rebooting with the shift key down, same thing.

Is System Leopard repairing permissions; should I leave it in the blue state a lot longer (like overnight, maybe)?

Thanks much!

Hi,
Oops, found the answer to my "stuck at a blue screen" problem previously reported.
It's on the front page of this:
http://www.macfixit.com/

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20071026082852658
Hundreds of users are reporting an inability to properly startup after installing Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard). This issue is typified by a successful installation, but a persistent blue screen on the subsequent restart, requiring a forced shut down. Unsurprisingly, virtually every user reporting this problem used a straight upgrade ("Upgrade Install") rather than performing an Archive and Install or Erase and Install

Question for any Apple employee.

Why didn't the beta testers notice this problem?
Why doesn't Apple disallow the "upgrade install" if it doesn't work?

Thanks

Back