Repetitive permission repair

gphillipk

Registered
I've repaired permissions several times, especially after installing software. I've noticed that the same messages are displayed after repairing permissions. The messages are below:
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util. New permissions are 33261
We are using a special uid for the file or directory ./private/var/at/jobs. New uid is 1
We are using a special uid for the file or directory ./private/var/at/spool. New uid is 1
The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

The first message has been displayed since the computer was brand new and the latter 2 have been displayed after creating a new user. Is this normal? My understanding of repairing permissions is that you repair an object once and unless the object is modified in some way, there's no need to repair again?

They're related to the security updates, I don't know exactly what they mean, maybe someone here could be more specific about them...

I also suffer from exactly the same problem with the selfsame permissions. The latter lines appeared after installing MacJanitor, although this could be a coincidence. Any thoughts?

I installed MacJanitor around the same time I created an extra user, so it could very well be MacJanitor causing the latter messages to be displayed.

Mac OS X: Disk Utility reports "New permissions are 33261"

You may safely ignore a message that contains "permissions are 33261". This document applies to Mac OS X 10.2.2 or later.

In Disk Utility (Mac OS X 10.2.2 through 10.2.8), you see the message: "We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/hfs.fs/hfs.util.
New permissions are 33261"

In Disk Utility (Mac OS X 10.3.3 or later), you may see the message: "We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util.
New permissions are 33261"

This is a status message and not a cause for concern. You may safely ignore it.
==========================================

The second two are also nothing to worry about, they're from a Security Update.

Back