Replacing internal hard drive G4 IMAC

datasphere

Registered
My hard drive was going out on my older G4 Imac so I took it out and replaced with a new drive. Prior to removing the older defective drive I backed everything up on an external drive.

*I assumed I could just format the new drive and then reinstall the original OSX disks and then drag over the backup files and live happily ever after!

Problem #1: mac starts up but flashes a question mark. I insert the backup/restore disks that came with the computer (6 gray discs). This is not correct I see.

Problem #2: I am not 100% the drive I have is the right one (see below for all details). I may need a different connector? I ran the diagnostic cd that came with it and the new hard drive shows up and it says it's OK. NO other problems on the test.

Problem #3: I think the drive will/can only access 128GB of the new 200GB hard drive? if so, does this mean it will not work without an card or it will just not see/read the other storage?

Problem #4: Are the restore disks NOT the OS to reinstall? or was this on the internal hard drive already from the factory pre-loaded?

Someone said I would have to have someone make me a bootable OSX install and connect via external drive to start and then format the new drive and then re-install the OS somehow. I have been racking my brain trying all options and researching online all weekend!!

*Please let me know what the options are to fix this situation.

details:

G4 iMac
Power PC M8535LL/A
800 Mhz.
512 MB.SD Ram
OSX 10.4.11

Original Drive:

MAXTOR
4D060H3 60GB
5400 2mb.
3.5" ULTRA ATA-100 EIDE

New drive:

MAXTOR
200GB
3.5" ATA/100 EIDE
7200 RPM 8Mb.
*includes Ultra ATA interface cable
(ASSY, ATA133,ROHS cable)

Other:

Pre-Installed MacOS: 9.2.2 & X 10.1.2
Maximum Mac OS: X 10.4.11

Details:This system cannot run versions of MacOS X more recent than 10.4.11.
Mac OS 9 Support: Boot/Classic Mode

Details:This model is capable of booting in MacOS 9 and using MacOS 9 applications
within the Mac OS X "Classic" environment.

-----

datasphere2@yahoo.com

That G4 iMac is the very first flat panel model and is USB 1. The replacement Maxtor drive will need to have a full retail version of Tiger put on to it before you can replace all the backed-up files. The grey disks you have are Restore only, to be used for 'fixing'.

As to the size of the drive, there are conflicting reports of maximum capacity. Apple says 128, user feedback says otherwise. Apple issues no Firmware update for that iMac.

So if I can find the original software disks and or borrow from a friend can I then hold down C at start up and boot from the cd-disk and then format the NEW drive like that and then re-install the OSX on the new drive?

hopefully, because it was a major pain to take that baby apart and get back together again.

any other suggestions?

thanks again,

Curt
Chicago

So if I can find the original software disks and or borrow from a friend can I then hold down C at start up and boot from the cd-disk and then format the NEW drive like that and then re-install the OSX on the new drive?

Hi Curt
Yeah, sort-of. That iMac was originally issued with OS 10.1.x, which will be what those grey disks are about; and the latest OS that model came out with was 10.2. The original OS would have been factory-installed. The reason you have 6 disks is because they're CDs. Tiger (OS 10.4) is - as far as I know - on dvd. Check with SysProfiler what your optical drive will handle.

Next: locate, beg, buy - whatever - a full retail version of Tiger. They're to be found on eBay or Amazon, but be extra vigilant about the correct disk. It has a black label and MUST state that it is full-install.

Lastly, failing your efforts to find a Tiger install disk, go to your nearest Apple store and plead with them to install Tiger on your iMac. You may find they have a license to do so - at a cost!

so if/when I can locate the Tiger OSX, can I boot from that "start up" disk by holding down C at start up and can I then format the new Maxtor drive?

or will I have to take out the new drive, hook it up externally somehow on another computer, install the OS, then insert the Maxtor CD to format and or install?

sorry for so many questions but I have never done all of this before.

Thanks again for all youe help thus far!

Take care,

Curt
Chicago

so if/when I can locate the Tiger OSX, can I boot from that "start up" disk by holding down C at start up and can I then format the new Maxtor drive?

Should do. The flashing ? mark was because the hardware part was looking for the software part, namely an OS > System Folder.

or will I have to take out the new drive, hook it up externally somehow on another computer, install the OS, then insert the Maxtor CD to format and or install?

Well, you could do it on to the 'bare' drive with an IDE-USB adaptor, but internally is faster and better.

Keep us posted on progress.

Back