replacing /Users with Linuxbox's SMB [homes] share

stakk

Registered
Hi,

I've been querying google for a few hours, and it seems that there's no answer to this.

So what I would like to do is:

Mount the /Users -directory using my Linuxbox's samba [homes] share. The samba share works great, if I just run the Finder's "connect to server" and input the share there. But, how can I change the users's home directory so it would reside on smb://myaddress/userx?

I already created test user and I edited the home -value (in "netinfo manager") to use smb://myaddress/test (eventhough I didn't know if this would be the right method), and created the test -user on linuxbox also, but it did not work :(

So does anyone have idea how-to do this?

Br,
stakk

So, I want to make sure - you want to "see" a directory on the linux box for your /Users folder?
If that's the case try: mount the linux share, rename your Mac /Users to something, then create an alias to the mounted share, called Users.
(I don't have an OS X machine handy to test this - sorry if it doesn't work)

Now that I think of it, what I just suggested sounds pretty dangerous!!! Is that what you wanted to do?

Originally posted by gsahli
Now that I think of it, what I just suggested sounds pretty dangerous!!! Is that what you wanted to do?

Yes, that was what I wanted. But how do I configure my OS X, that it mounts the share automatically when user logs in? In other words, I want that every users's homedirectory is physically located in my linuxbox, and it's accessed via SMB, if possible.

Br,
stakk

Well, I've done this on a Linux box by modifying the file /etc/fstab. But, I've never played with this on OS X, so I don't know if it works the same.

Back