Reported Here First: MacRack Coming

The key aspect of this item is the configuration and management of multiple nodes for grid computing.

The open-source foundation of Darwin across PPC and X86 architectures enables differentiation only in the human interface -- always a strength of Jobs' enterprises -- evident Darwin and Aqua and the integration of Darwin's power with Aqqua's usability.

The challenge and opportunity is to bring the same level of usability to the development of a grid computing solutions that are both enterprise capable and peer-to-peer enabled.

I believe Apple will have some competition in this space: note IBM recent statements supporting grid computing and Sun's hyperbole on their home page. Microsoft will continue to morph the Wintel platform: increasingly open in form, but patented in function.

Look for Apple to develop tools for the distribution and management of software developed on a MacOSX box and deployed to a cluster. The open source community will have much to contribute and to gain. However, division over LINUX vs. Darwin may be reminiscent of BSD vs AT&T.

The most interesting aspect will be the relationship between Microsoft and Apple. With the Office platform firmly entrenched in Aqua and Darwin, how long until Microsoft considers the separation of Explorer from NT5.

I'd say it's a dubious move for apple to take, but if they're going for that much I'll certainly sell off most of my hardware and fill up my pad with rack mounts :D

however, assuming that any amount of information here is correct, can we expect something with a full video export and complete gui, or are we looking at something which is only configurable via a web browser? because, to be quite honest, I'd prefer the current os x server admin utility more - but more than that, I'd prefer to edit the text conf files without crapping out the whole system ;)

and if we're getting a full video out on these it seems apple might be losing a portion of the more expensive iMac market to people with a bit more know how and the inconvenience of having to rig up some stuff for a cheaper, powerful system.

and for $900 I can't see this shipping with a full version of os x server - maybe a hacked down one?

I'm sure a rack mounted Mac would catch the eyes and ears of many musicians/studio owners. Most who are seriously into music use it for that purpose only, stripping down extensions sets to the bare minimum needed to reduce CPU cycles and conflicts. An audio I/O isn''t really a requirement as most use third party multi AD/DA convertors. MP is almost a must as more and more programs are designed to take advantage of this. Faster FireWire and perhaps DDR SDRAM would also be an asset particularly with interfaces being designed around 1394. A "Mac in a rack" would also permit an easy way of moving a system from studio to studio in a safe and convenient manner along with I/O interfaces and mic pres etc. I would imagine that many many pro producers would quickly adopt this practice as many of them already bring a few racks of preferred gear. It makes alot of sense from a musician/recording point of view.

Originally posted by scruffy
[B
Anyway, seems a bit dodgy to me - it's not like Apple has been playing up OS X server a lot, coming out with a rackmount mac seems a bit odd.
[/B]

Actually, given the nature of netinfo, pushing OS X server and a machine built spacificly for server duties would seem to be a logical step. This is something apple needs to do if they ever want to be concidered a serious contneder in the corprate network arena. Thats what I would see apple providing rack equipment to be. And it is also perfectly logical to put out a smaller lower end server first... build off of your current customer base, and eventually once you have proven you can provide rack based server solutions, maybe companies with major network environments will concider you in their next upgrade cycle.

It makes sence to run a corprate network on apples. In todays co. environments, userfriendlyness in a nessesity. Not everyone on your network using your computers is nessisaraly a techie. Thus the need of the IT department. With technoligies like netboot and netinfo, a mac basied network would easily bipass Windoze networks in the areas of portable user profiles and transparency of technologie. The only networks you see running on mac equipment now are usually graphic design houses. I live for the day that I come to work and see an apple flat screen on my desk :)

I use Mac OS X Server as my main OS. And I don't even host anything. (Mainly for personal development work, and just because I like the words "OS X Server" at startup!)

Originally posted by zerorex

Actually, given the nature of netinfo, pushing OS X server and a machine built spacificly for server duties would seem to be a logical step. This is something apple needs to do if they ever want to be concidered a serious contneder in the corprate network arena.

Netinfo is nice, but to content with corporate systems there needs to be interoperability with the two major directories already established in businesses: NDS and ADS. Otherwise it'll never make it beyond fringe useage in, perhaps, small mostly audio or video shops.

It makes sence to run a corprate network on apples. In todays co. environments, userfriendlyness in a nessesity. Not everyone on your network using your computers is nessisaraly a techie.

I love Apple, and say what you will about MS, but they have the "user friendliness" locked up in the small to mid-size server environment. Any moron who can use their Win95+ desktop can look at an NT/2000 server and figure out what to do. Of course not correctly or efficiently, but usually enough to "get the job done." And for larger environments Novell's GUI is super simple from an interface standpoint. Yes, user friendliness is important, but apple no longer holds the title of being the only or most userfriendly. From a systems engineering standpoint, you'd be hard pressed to offer me a good reason to implement OSX as a server unless the shop in question was mostly macintosh. I'd be more inclined to use MS products for small workgroup file sharing, Novell for large corporate networks, unix/apache for web serving, etc etc etc

If this rumor is true, I'd bet it'll be pitched more as a netboot server or a quicktime streaming media server or an audio/video processing station.

It's good news (or rumor) if it's really true that Apple is taking the server market seriously.

But anybody who thinks it's important probably already knows that there's a company named Marathon Computer (www.marathoncomputer.com) that's been making rackmount retrofits for Mac for years. They have a 1U rackmount for the older iMacs, and one for the DV iMacs is supposed to be out around Christmas. A fellow told me that they're also working on 2U server boxes for G4 Macs, but they haven't announced them yet.

macdotcalm@mac.com

I think it'd be great to be able to order Apple parts and build your own mac. But, that would definitely go against the Apple grain of complete control over the box . . . but Marathon Computers is great, just requires the purchase/aquisition of an actual Mac as well

In order for Mac OS X to gain serious attention in the server field, Apple needs to drop netinfo as the primary DS. While it was far better than what was out there when NeXT first introduced it, it is a little long in tooth, and nobody else supprots it.

NDis and ADS are good, but there is a serious amount of NIS out there, and LDAP is coming on strong in the rest of the server market [ADS is nothing more than LDAP with some extensions]. Until Apple supports an industry standard instead of netinfo, Mac OS X will be a quaint experiment doomed to be a niche OS.

As for a reason why Apple may be introducing rack mounted servers (besides the music angle) is the fact that there has been some serious work done on Macs for graphic rendering, and let's not forget about WebObjects (IMO the real reason for Apple to introduce a rack mounted machine).

Me

Originally posted by pixelcort
I use Mac OS X Server as my main OS. And I don't even host anything. (Mainly for personal development work, and just because I like the words "OS X Server" at startup!)
When digging through package contents of everything in the System and Library directories, I found that the consumer (non-server) Mac OS X on my cube has the Mac OS X Server splash screens, login graphics, etc. I'm sure you could use these using the same instructions other people have used to change the splash screens of their systems. I am at school right now, and even when I am at home, I need to be studying for finals, so maybe in a week I can get time to try this m'self

In Belgium Apple has the greatest marketshare. I own the case with a loosy front of Ometra(an original Belgian case of a bankrupt Belgian computerassembler - after iMac it's second). This sounds like music I think.

Originally posted by Hervé Hinnekens
In Belgium Apple has the greatest marketshare. I own the case with a loosy front of Ometra(an original Belgian case of a bankrupt Belgian computerassembler - after iMac it's second). This sounds like music I think.

you are one strange guy... wtf was that?

:p :confused: :D

Originally posted by sheepguy42

When digging through package contents of everything in the System and Library directories, I found that the consumer (non-server) Mac OS X on my cube has the Mac OS X Server splash screens, login graphics, etc. I'm sure you could use these using the same instructions other people have used to change the splash screens of their systems. I am at school right now, and even when I am at home, I need to be studying for finals, so maybe in a week I can get time to try this m'self

Heh, try this in a Terminal window:

Code:
sudo cp /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist /System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist

then do About this Mac or observe the login panel.

Code:
sudo rm /System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist

to put things back.

Originally posted by blb

Heh, try this in a Terminal window:

Code:
sudo cp /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist /System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist

then do About this Mac or observe the login panel.

ha, i like it. i'm keeping it that way. i dig it the most!

y'all are missing out on 3 big markets that are/should be important to apple:

TV: think about making your tv newstruck the ideal remote studio, with standard 19" rack components.

Hollywood: when you do blockbuster video effects, you want racks of power for cutting down production time

Animation: doesn't Pixar want to dump Sun & SGI and become 100% Apple based? It was only a year or 2 ago that they dropped all their pc's for desktop apps. Now come the Render Farms...

omg and slashdot laughed at this!
AHAHAHAHAH LONG LIVE APPLE!

<SUPER HAPPY MODE>

LETS ALL SING AND DANCE!

Back