Request Assistance: PC Won't find Mac

FallOutBoyx530

Registered
hello, i'm new to the mac bussiness because i just bought an ibook g4 just for school, but now all my things are on my pc windows xp desktop and i need to get and share files, i've read most of the forums but all they say is how to view the pc on the mac (which i've done and took files) but what i need help on is how to look at my mac or go into my mac from my pc networking. please help thanks.

FYI: running windows xp pro, running mac osx 10.3.9

thanks again

On the mac, you'll need to go to Apple Menu --> System Preferences --> Sharing.
Make sure "Windows file sharing" is turned on.

Then, on the PC you go to Start Menu --> Run
Type in:

\\yourmacsIPaddress\~YourShortUserName

Eg: If your Mac is on 1.2.3.1 (you can see your IP address on the "Network" preference pane) and your shortusername is "fallout" (check your account in the Accounts preference pane) you would type the following in the Run box on the PC:

\\1.2.3.1\~fallout

I did this on my home lan yesterday and I don't have to put a ~ sign.
just \\192.168.1.100\oliviermarian
then there is a window asking for a login password
login: oliviermarian
pwd: mypassword

works like a charm, XP Pro to tiger on mac mini.

Just to explain something about your previous question, www.whatsmyip.com will probably give you the ip adress used to connect to the Internet, which may not be the one you look for if you use a router to share your internet access with your mac and PC.

[Internet] -- [Your router] -- Mac
|_ PC

Your router on the external side will have a public IP adress, which will be displayed by www.whatsmyip.com

Your router on the inside, will manage to connect your MAC and PC, and probably will serve as a DHCP server, meaning it will distribute private IP adresses to your MAC and PC. By default you should have an IP looking like 192.168.1.x.

Hope this helps and does not confuse you ;-)
Olivier

FallOutBoyx530 said:
FYI: running windows xp pro, running mac osx 10.3.9
On the PC, go to "My Network Places," and select "Add a Network Place." Then, "Choose another network location ..." Enter your Mac's IP address as others have mentioned. To find it, go System Preferences > Sharing on your Mac, and check the "Windows Sharing" box. Your IP address will appear towards the bottom of the Window; it is the address "Windows users can access your computer at. ...." Post back if you still have problems.

hmm..i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong, i connected the two computer mac n pc, i could see my pc but not my mac

so i went to network, and add network place, i put in \\192.168.1.101\~username (<== the place where i goto apple menu, log out (thats the name right?)) and i also have tried \\192.168.1.101\public (where share folder is)

i've also turn on sharing on my mac and also dragged files into the public folder, i've also turn off the firewall on my mac and my pc

for some reason it keeps saying the folder you enetered does not appear to be valid. please choose another.

what is the folder that i'm suppose to use? thanks.

Did you follow this instruction?

Enter your Mac's IP address as others have mentioned. To find it, go System Preferences > Sharing on your Mac, and check the "Windows Sharing" box. Your IP address will appear towards the bottom of the Window; it is the address "Windows users can access your computer at. ...." Post back [again] if you still have problems.

YES!!! THaNKS so much guys/gals for helping me =) i really appreciate it, so far i'm loving mac over pc great stuff thanks again, i got it working.

just for though...i got it to work because it says windows users can access your computer at....

before it did not say that, which is why i had many things go wrong, but now i got it. thanks =)

its probably because i keep switching network from connecting to my friend and school and mine thanks again.

Back