Request for iPhoto features?

I would love it if I could share libraries of photos a la iTunes. Then I could do slides shows of every networked Mac in the house.

I would like rendezvous sharing and a speed boost too.

What would be nice is for iPhoto to do something about the video clips that my camera takes too. I sometimes forget to drag them over manually and then lose them. And when I do remember, I end up pulling them into a folder with cryptic file names that never get looked at in context...

It just needs to be a little faster. On a G4 or better it's not TOO bad I guess...but on a G3 it makes the program almost unusable. Love the eject idea. A minor thing too. When you select an album and create a homepage on .Mac, insteading of creating a cryptic folder called "2003-06-22 14.12.33 -0700" I would rather it at least use the album name in part of the folder name so you know what they are.

With my old Epson PhotoPC 850 (2.1 megapixels) I had to create a new Library each year in order to keep it running smoothly. I found that as soon as a Library got to containing about 1GB of images it started to really crawl. For the photos I took between May of 2000 and December of 2003 I had to create three separate Libraries.

With my new Canon EOS Digital Rebel (6.3 megapixels) I'm finding that I am going to need to create a new Library every month or two in order to keep things down around a GB, and even that might not prove to be enough. That's really annoying.

Perhaps Apple did not think that your average consumer/prosumer would need more power in iPhoto, but I think it is apparent that we do. My message to Apple: We don't need any more features or dodads or bells and whistles. If anything we need less of these things. What we really need is for the program to be able to handle gigabytes of data as easily as some of your others do.

Ptpiz said:
THE MOST NEEDED FEATURE for iPhoto is being able to have folders inside of folders.QUOTE]Yes, I agree...

I read an interesting quote from WOZ where he said he exceeded some upper limit for the number of photos iPhoto can hold. At that point he lost everything!

...So I'm thinking Apple is trying needs to fix that before we have have many thousands of photos in many nested folders.

Also I'd like to see iPhoto have more advanced HTML/Web output... For this reason alone I use iVew Media Pro (NOT free)... It is very clunky compared to iPhoto, but has much more advanced features.

So I'd settle for iView with better usability or improved iPhoto... Whichever comes first. I'd be happy to pay for either...

gwynarion: what's your Canon EOS Digital Rebel like? I've recently got a new camera and that was one I looked at. I decided I couldn't justify spending that much and ended up with a FujiFilm S7000 instead (also 6.3mp), which I'm pretty happy with.

TommyWillB: I've been playing with iView Media too and quite like it - I'm currently using it in demo mode in preference to iphoto as iphoto has become too slow to use on my ibook. What's it like when it comes to updates and new features? I'm considering paying for it.

goynang said:
gwynarion: what's your Canon EOS Digital Rebel like? I've recently got a new camera and that was one I looked at. I decided I couldn't justify spending that much and ended up with a FujiFilm S7000 instead (also 6.3mp), which I'm pretty happy with.
Canon Digital Rebel = digital orgasms

I am absolutely delighted with this camera. It is everything I could have wanted and more. One of my top three criteria for a new camera was that it have removable lenses, and I just put that into effect last night when I got my 75-300mm lens with image stabilization. DROOL...

ApeintheShell said:
I guess this is more of an annoyance, but if i click the red button the application shouldn't close.

Read Apple's Human Interface guidelines. Single window applications _should_ quit when the window is closed.

I think we can all be satisfied with the upcomming version. Let's hope the speed increase is great!

Back