ResEdit

Charon

Over The Hills & Far Away
This old software was easy to use. I had it sometimes, but then my hard disk damaged (didn't work anymore->guarantee) but i had guarantee. The guarantee was deniend, because I had Apple's resedit program. (this happened in 1999) Does it really harm hard disk? If not, where could i got this program? From apple.com?

They said that resedit should not be used in OS9. How about OSX?

I just saw this text and there is a link :

If you're looking for a way to change the font in iTunes, this ResEdit template from Sean McNamara will help. It will allow you to edit the font attributes for many parts of iTunes. The READ ME provides detailed instructions and it wouldn't hurt to see this previous ResEx Tutorial.

http://www.resexcellence.com/files/04-04_iTunes_Font_temp.sit

this tex was taken from here:
http://www.resexcellence.com/

I'd like to use that program, because it was easy to use, but still very useful!
Could translate applications easily to different languages etc..

I have used ResEdit a lot in OS 9, with no problems. It won't run natively in OS X, but can be used in Classic. You should be able to download it from the Resexcellence.com website, or you can get it here.

PS: Kjetil, you beat me to it! ;)

Originally posted by chenly
ResEdit edits resource files; there are no resource files in UNIX.

There are, but they're hidden in the data forks of the files. Just copy the contents of the data fork in a Mac OS X .rsrc file to the resource fork (which doesn't exist in them), and you can edit the resources with ResEdit.

Correction: There aren't resource files in UNIX, but OS X still uses them.

There are no resource FORKS in UNIX. Yes, you can artifically create one from UNIX files. Thank you for clarifying my erroneous statement.

Yep, and to e.g. grab icons/small graphics from apps, I think you still have to use ResEdit (and a data fork editor to copy the stuff over) :)

While it's true that UNIX doesn't inherently have resource forks, the HFS+ disk format supports it, and because Mac OS X is almost always installed on an HFS+ disk, you can still have resource forks in Mac OS X.

Contrary to what propaganda kilowatt and others will give you, ResEdit still has a place in OS X. Games like EV, EV Override, and even EV Nova use resource forks to create plugins that modify the game. Furthermore, many carbon apps, since they are ports of Classic Mac OS software, still have resource forks. Also, files that were created in Classic applications often have resource forks, and even some files that are created in Carbon applications have resource forks.

And Mac OS X ACTIVELY uses resource forks. You know the thing in the Get Info window where you can choose an application to open a specific document? Guess where that information is stored? Hah, you guessed it! In the resource fork!

So, yes, ResEdit X would still be very useful.

And I hope that you have fun fiddling around in ResEdit, Charon. Hopefully we'll have a native version someday. :)

Sure.. I can do many things with ResEdit.. I like translate apps.. Nicer to use...

There actually is a resource editor or two for OS X, too, but one of them costs hundreds, I've never tried it, and one is freeware, but it's full of bugs and lacks a lot of functions. There's something special about ResEdit that makes it so professional and easy to use...

Back