Reset all paths & environment variables to default

chrispy212

Registered
Hey,

Quite a while back, I had a real problem after installing some software from source that changed a lot of environment variables and stuff. Undoubtably, trying to rectify the situation without enough knowledge just exacerbated the problem.

Anyway, I still have a lot of frustrating problems when working in command line. For example, I just got an error telling me gcc isn't installed. Well that's unlikely, considering how much compiling I tend to do outside command line! However, whereis gcc does nothing.

Basically, I want to just reset all the problems I have caused and just set my paths back to default. I mean everything. Problem is, I dunno what they should be, and I don't know where to start. I know I have to sort my .profile, but even that is a bit taxing.

Which files should I be changing, and what changes should I make

If you have a .bashrc or .bash_profile in your home directory try moving them aside by naming them something else and see if that helps when you open a new terminal

Last edited:
Cheers,

I realised that this particular problem is caused by Fink not being up to date with the way the developer tools are organised. As far as I can tell, all things like gcc etc. go into /Developer/usr/bin now. I am trying to add that as a path.

EDIT:
OK. I added "export PATH=$PATH:/Developer/usr/bin" (minus quotes of course) to my .profile. "echo $PATH" shows that /Developer/usr/bin is included in the path. However, executables in that path are not found, as per using whereis. Solutions?

Last edited:
Back