Restart and Shutdown

Terry

Registered
From a G5 and Tiger 10.4.1
When I sellect restart or shutdown; the computer takes at lease 10 minutes to execute. What can I do to fix.

Thanks,
Terry

Probably waiting for some or other process to end. Do you choose Reboot/Shutdown when all your apps are closed and just the Finder's active or in the middle of having everything open?

If you have closed every application, you might want to check Activity Monitor to see whether some background processes still use a lot of the CPU(s).

Also: Repair permissions (using Disk Utility), reboot and try again...

If that doesn't do the trick, try creating a (empty) new user profile, boot into that and reboot again. See if it's much faster.

Thanks for your quick reply.
I always shutdown after the apps are closed.

Permissions are repaired.

Activity Monitor is not showing large CPU's.

New user profile. Tried that too. It's still not working.

What am I missing?

FYI... I thought iSync was going to make my life so much easier to upgrade our current G4's to G5's; however right now it doesn't look that way. I am restarting with a whole new system. I'll let you know how it goes.

Update Note:
All of you planning on updating from Panther to Tiger via. Firewire (old Mac to New Mac). It's not recommended. To many problems. I've started over with a new system and everything is working. It's just going to take me longer to upgrade all of my users.

Well i had some shutdown problems myself after upgrading from Panther to Tiger.
For what i have seen on this forum is that Norton makes a big problem.
When i thought i had uninstalled everything of Norton it still didn't work but just now several day's after i uninstalled norton something came up form norton and i thought '' hey i've uninstalled it right?!'' then i looked where it came from and that was form startupitems in library! i've checked all the maps and some of them had some norton things in there logs so i archived it and deleted it and restarted and it did!
Hope this is the problem :p

Greetings from the Netherlands

Back