Restart doesn't function after installing Tiger and software update

katallist

Registered
I have a Powerbook G4.
When I hit restart in the drop down menu from the apple icon , the computer shuts down, then seems to restart.... but only the desktop photo appears ...none of the other icons or task bar or functions appear. So in order to use the computer I have to shut it off manually with the power button then turn it back on with the power button and then the normal desktop appears.
This started happening after I upgraded my OSX 10.2.8 to Tiger a few nights ago and the following morning updated the software:
ITunes to 6.0.4
Compressor 1.2.1
Cinema Tools 1.1
Mac OSX Update combine
Quicktime 7.0.4
DVD Player 4.6

Any ideas how I can get restart function to work normally? could it be a security issue?
Thanks for any help,
Katallist

restart the computer and hold command s till it starts up in single user mode and stops scrolling the type

fsck -f -y

when that is done type reboot.
good luck

Ok so I did as you said and it hasn't changed anything.
Here is some of the jargon on the screen when I tried to do it again thinking maybe I hadn't done it right.

Singleuser boot --fsck not done

Root device is mounted read only

if you want to make modifications to files: /sbin/fsck-fy
/sbin/mount -uw/
If you with to boot the system but sty in single usermode:
localhost:/ root#

(then when I type in what you told me to type it says):

fsck: illegal option --
fsck: ? option?
localhost:/ root#

so what exactly am I trying to do here?? do I want to make modifications to files or do I want to stay in singleuser mode? what's the goal here?

thanks so much for your help
Kat

Rather than checking the disk through obscure UN*X voodoo, I'd advise you to simply boot from the Tiger installation DVD and run Disk Utility from under the Apple menu to repair the disk. (Although I doubt that's the cause for the reboot-issue...) Repair it until there are no error messages. Then boot into the installed Tiger again (by quitting the installer DVD completely) and run Disk Utility from there, repair permissions on the main drive and reboot. See if that helps.

I just want to get this right before I start-
--so you're suggesting I :
1.put the Tiger DVD Installation disc back in the dvd player..(won't it start an install all over again immediately?)
2. go under the apple menu and run Disk Utility (at what point AFTER I put the DVD in?)
3. then take the Tiger DVD out?...when do I know the disk has been repaired and it's time to remove the DVD?
4. then run Disk Utility after removing the Tiger DVD completely?
5. What is repairing permissions and how do I know how to do that?

sorry I'm not very advanced...obviously.

1.) Yes, I want that. :) By holding down the "C" key, so it starts from the DVD. And no, it won't start installing without your input.
2.) When the DVD stops booting and shows you a welcome message of some sort, when the Apple menu first appears... You'll figure it out. :)
3.) You don't just remove the DVD. The software tells you when it's done repairing. You do it, until there's no more error messages. Then you choose quit, quit, quit until the software asks you to restart. Without holding down the "C" key, it should boot normally from your harddrive.
4.) When OS X has booted, yes.
5.) In Disk Utility, you choose your main harddrive and click on "repair permissions". It, well, repairs permissions.

Just ask. No need to be very advanced. You'll get there by asking and trying stuff yourself.

When I put the Tiger DVD in, do I hold down the Apple and the C keys together simultainously immediately right then? I tried that-- and a window opens with several icons to choose from ie: "Install Mac OS X" and "Welcome to Tiger" and "Read Before you Intall" and "Xcode Tools"l, I don't see any Disc Utility choices when I pull down the apple menu at this point. I don't see the Apple menu you refer to appearing anywhere. Should I choose one of the folders in the window? sorry I've never repaired discs before and I'm lost.....

If I remember right it is under one of the other menus. I _think_ on Panther (probably the same on Tiger) It was under the Installer menu

You have to _only_ hold down the "C" key. Not with the Apple key. You got that wrong.

I found it in the Applications folder then Utilities so it appears that I've repaired disk permissions definitely on the HD, but when I attempt to highlight the DVD you are unable to click repair and if I click verify Disk which is my only option it shows an error message:
Verify volume failed with error Could not unmount disk

So I still can't restart or shutdown the computer normally,
any more ideas pleez?

Have the DVD in the disk drive. Shutdown the computer. Turn the computer on. Immediately (!) after you've pushed the power button, hold down the "C" key and keep it held down until the installer comes up. Then find Disk Utility in the menus instead of installing. There choose the main harddrive, not the installation DVD, and repair the drive. Until there are no more messages.

(It seems you didn't really get what I meant before this message, sorry...)

Back