Restart tries to launch application on external disk.

Whitehill

Registered
Running 10.15.7. Whenever I restart, when my desktop appears and gets populated, an alert comes up telling me it wants to launch an application that resides on an external disk. The app is 1Password 7 which IS installed on my system disk, but I do NOT have a launch-at-login for it. Now ...

The external disk is a clone of my previous system disk on which the app WAS installed and there WAS a launch-at-login item. The new system disk I created from a 100% clean install and I manually reinstalled apps that I actually still use.

I suppose I can delete the app from the old disk and hope for the best, but how did this phantom login item get here? I can't find anything relevant in the old StartItems folders.

If you do not use it, then delete it and all traces of it (prefs etc). Use an app such as EasyFind and search for it AND the developer's name and delete all occurrences, both visible and invisible.

If you do not use it, then delete it and all traces of it (prefs etc). Use an app such as EasyFind and search for it AND the developer's name and delete all occurrences, both visible and invisible.
I do use it - the version installed on my new system disk - and I don’t want to delete accidentally anything it requires by deleting the version from the old disk.

Double check one thing: Which disk/drive are you starting up with? System Preferences>Startup Disk.

You certainly do have a mystery. A mystery preference got moved to your new disk?? possible.

Back