Restrict user logon times

zeke_mn

Registered
In Windows XP I can use the command:

net user username /time:M-Su,5pm-11pm

to restrict my 15 yr old son from logging on except during those hours.

Is there a similar command I can run from terminal?

I don't need anything too fancy like Mac Minder, just something to delay his computing time until the evening. It kills my wife and me to see him staring at a screen on a beautiful summer day. We are not always home so nagging only goes so far (and doesn't work very well any way).

Thanks.

Steve

Natobasso, thanks for the advice. BobW from one-to-one support suggested that I also post on the forums. I didn't know which section to post to so I posted to multiple sections thinking it would reach a different section of the community. I won't do that again.

Sorry, hope I didn't sound too heavy handed. :) If Bobw told you to do it then it's probably ok. Just wanted you to know the protocol...

Did my suggestion help you at all?

It was an interesting link, but I didn't see anything about scheduling or restricting logon times. I also tend to be cautious with system level terminal commands. I am always afraid I might mess something up. I did find the command ac -d users username is helpful in monitoring usage after the fact. Better than nothing I guess.

Off the topic a bit, your link did steer me toward using the scheduled waking of my iMac so I won't have to use MacJanitor to run daily maintenance scripts. So far, after just one day it hasn't worked. (daily did not run at 03:15 although the iMac did wake itself.)

Thanks again for your help.

Back