Retoring a powerbook G3 to factory settings..

marky moo

Registered
Hi all...im kinda new to this so im thanking you in advance for your patience lol!

Ok..ive just been given a G3 powerbook from a friend in sweden and want to completely restore it,as i cant change the language from swedish to english!I spoke to somebody whilst out there and he confirmed that i need to reinstall the os x software compatible with it (10.3.9)which i guess is kinda old.

I have a new imac with leopard,and also have tiger but when i inserted the discs it still came up in swedish?

so does anybody know how i can overcome this?

That happens because the system it has now was originally installed using Swedish as the installation language.

If you want your language in Enlish, you don't need to reinstall the system for that. Let's try this first (as it will take max 2 minutes to get your system to English including logging out and back in)

Go to System Preferences, and International >
(also from Apple logo on uppper left corner, and the item for system preferences should be 4th from top, above 'dock'). If the system is in Swedish now, it should say something like 'internationell', and the icon for it is a blue flag that looks a bit like UN flag, among the icons on the top row.
In that, there is "language" tab that lists all the languages in your system.
Drag English to be the first on the list from top.
Log out your user, and log back on to the computer. Now all your programs will be running in English.

If your system is otherwise fine set, the only difference iwll be that at booting time the texts are in installation language, "Mac OS X is starting up..." but this will not affect the functionality of your system in any way.

Ahh..awesome thanks a lot.i did exactly that and i can now understand everything woo!
I still wanna reset the whole whole thing tho as i want to clear the hardrive and use it for photoshopping and sending my images to clients on the move.Would i need to reload panther to do this...is there anywhere i can download it for free?

You would need the complete discs that came with that computer, or standalone retail version of Mac OS X 10.something where something is anything that was shipped later than what system shipped with that Mac.
You can't legally download the full system OS discs from anywhere.
Ask your friend if he can find these discs for you, and send them.

Another thing you could do is create a new user for yourself. Again system preferences > Users... create a new user, and give it admin rights.
Log out, log as that user, and (you may have to switch the new user's language to English first) you have everything fresh as that user's account for yourself.

Back