Rev A iMac E-net Not Working?

ezra

Super Organism
Anyone have problems with Ethernet not working on Rev A iMac. I can not get this thing up and running on AT&T RoadRunners Cable service. They have the correct Mac Address, but the machine keeps getting a bad IP. Is there a way to test the EtherNet port to check if it is functional or damadged? The OS sees the port, and allows you to slelect it, so one would assume it's functional? I've also tested the line, cable, and network settings. Everything is set up right, what could be the problem?

Also not that it wasn't fully functional under OS9 either. Other machines on the network would show up over appletalk, but they would have problems connecting. I've never used the ethernet port on this machine since we purchased it, so I'm not sure if it ever worked, or this is someting new. I've taken the machine apart to make sure everything was OK, and I found no problems other than a little dust which I blew away with a air canister. I also cleaned the port connectors just incase they were dirty, because there was more dirt in this machine than I expected.

Any thoughts?

Hey ezra,

The Apple System Profiler is actually fairly decent with basic information about your ethernet connection. Make all your connections to the cable modem, then launch it and read your Network Overview for clues.

You mention you have never used ethernet with that machine before. Was it used with an analog line at one point for dial up access? Reason I ask, is the ethernet and modem ports are so close together, a phone connector (RJ11) sometimes makes it's way over to the ethernet port (accidentally), causing the 2 outer pins to bend and make insufficient contact with an ethernet connector. This will cause a flakey ethernet connection when the proper connector is used (RJ45). The symptoms are very similar to what you explain; partial network visibility with intermittent operations. If this is the case, bending the 2 outer pins to match the plain of the others will do the trick.

Originally posted by Klink
Hey ezra,

The Apple System Profiler is actually fairly decent with basic information about your ethernet connection. Make all your connections to the cable modem, then launch it and read your Network Overview for clues.

You mention you have never used ethernet with that machine before. Was it used with an analog line at one point for dial up access? Reason I ask, is the ethernet and modem ports are so close together, a phone connector (RJ11) sometimes makes it's way over to the ethernet port (accidentally), causing the 2 outer pins to bend and make insufficient contact with an ethernet connector. This will cause a flakey ethernet connection when the proper connector is used (RJ45). The symptoms are very similar to what you explain; partial network visibility with intermittent operations. If this is the case, bending the 2 outer pins to match the plain of the others will do the trick.

I think you may have figured it out, as I know the person the computer belongs to mentioned doing that. I'll look at it close, but I'm betting that may be it.

Thanks!

Back