reverse NAT and airport

byronw70

Registered
Has anyone successfully reverse NAT'ed Samba traffic from a PC mapping drives on your MAC using Airport. I have setup ports 387-391 (couldn't remember the exact ones but was pretty sure they were in this range) for the Airport basestation Ethernet Interface connected to my local LAN, to map to the IP address of my MACs airport card, but no go.

While I'm on the subject, I can map drives to my Windows machines while connected to a lan using browsing only. I have a PC, PC laptop, and MAC laptop and don't have a LAN DNS server. Is there some way that I can resolve the host name of the PC if I can't browse. Adding the PC name and IP address to the /etc/hosts files doesn't seem to work for some reason.

The reason that I ask this is that the SMB/ cifs client in MAC OS X is like the one in the Win 9x series of windows. It will not allow mapping to resources using smb://x.x.x.x/resource. It has to be smb://name/resource. As a result, I cannot map drives through airport as the browsing funtion does not NAT. If I get my PC laptop running windows 2000 and a Cisco Aironet card, and map to \\x.x.x.x\resource, it works fine, so I know that I have a name resolution problem.

Any help that anyone can give with these two issues would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

Back