Review: Windows Vista (compared to OS X)

It's a nicely done irony piece. I hope people won't go out and buy Vista _because_ of it. ;) I think it's okay here in the news section.

I thought it was daft :rolleyes:

There is only so many ways to design a calendar application, or a photo management application. Copying is just so rampant in this industry that it is silly to make a big fuss about it.

I thought it was daft :rolleyes:

There is only so many ways to design a calendar application, or a photo management application.
I don't know. Apple's interfaces may be so elegant that they seem only natural, but they aren't really. I mean, how many music players, calendars and photo managers were there before Apple made theirs? Lots. And how many had interfaces like Apple's? None?

Apple certainly has no claim to the Spotlight interface or Dashboard, though. Spotlight's interface has been around for years in the likes of LaunchBar, QuickSilver and Butler, and Dashboard was obviously "inspired by" Konfabulator.

I wonder how long it'll be before Microsoft releases an OS that's honestly better than Apple's. I feel the difference is a lot narrower today than it was 5 or 10 years ago. Microsoft has been getting better, and Apple.....well, Apple's certainly slipped in some key areas, like TESTING; we're at 10.4.8 and Spotlight is still so buggy that it's like an anti-feature. I really wish I had Panther's searching back, and I know I'm not alone there.

I doubt Vista will be rock-solid, either, though. Time will tell.

Like it or hate it, Good or Bad, In a couple of years, when I go to work,
I'm more likely to find Vista on my computer screen than OS X:(

we're at 10.4.8 and Spotlight is still so buggy that it's like an anti-feature. I really wish I had Panther's searching back, and I know I'm not alone there.
Never really used Spotlight since I'm still on Panther, but I like The Finder's simplicity.
There's a search box on top, I type what I want and hit enter.
In the "Other" operating system, when I want to search in explorer,
I get this stupid dog (I tried the others but they are just as irritating) plus
all these green arrows and and options that I don't really care about.

I hope they kill this dog (and friends) in vista.

Like it or hate it, Good or Bad, In a couple of years, when I go to work,
I'm more likely to find Vista on my computer screen than OS X:(

Never really used Spotlight since I'm still on Panther, but I like The Finder's simplicity.
There's a search box on top, I type what I want and hit enter.
In the "Other" operating system, when I want to search in explorer,
I get this stupid dog (I tried the others but they are just as irritating) plus
all these green arrows and and options that I don't really care about.

I hope they kill this dog (and friends) in vista.

Vista has a Spotlight-ish search feature that's available when you click on the Windows icon button (what used to be the Start button). Instead of searching from within a menubar, the search is conducted through the Start menu itself.

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10877_11-6114164.html

Pogue just ripped off the "comparison" that Bertrand Serlet did at WWDC2006 on Vista and OS X. Of course, the only people who saw WWDC were the developers and the geeks who watched the webcast....

"ripped off" sounds so negative. It's not as if "to sarcastically compare" was Betrand's invention, and I think it wasn't a duplication of the presentation.

Maybe "ripped off" does indeed sound bit negative, but when you hear "it is in the bottom left corner!!!" you can't deny that the haven't watched the WWDC.

But who cares, it is just as fun to watch and it isn't like he is "ripping" as in ripping income off Betrand anyway!!!

Wow, I never realized that Microsoft is so stupid that it takes them 5 years to make an OS which was GIVEN to them by Apple. (sorta) :lol:

Yes, but that's "simply" the evolution of Windows Server 2000 with enhancements from XP (without the ugly Fisher Price looks).

Yeah, for me, Windows Server 2003 is basically the server version of XP.

Oh, and the Fisher Price themes are still there. It's just that the Themes service is disabled by default in Services under Administrative Tools. You can actually enable it and make it look just a toylike as Windows XP.

And to be honest (and you guys might flog me for this), I actually like the XP themes.....they've kind of grown on me....sort of like mold. :eek: I just don't think I would use it as a theme on anything else other than Windows. Thankfully, the Aero look in Vista is an improvement over the old XP themes.

Back