.rhost, hosts.equiv, host files

mromey

Registered
Hiya Everyone,

I'm having some difficulty setting up my .rhost file and getting it to work correctly on my OSX box. Currently I have a few sgi machines. On my SGI machines I have correctly set up my .rhosts file. I'm trying to do the same on my OSX box with no luck. Currently I have edited the following files on both my SGI machines as well as my OSX machine.

/etc/hosts
/etc/hosts.equiv
~/.rhosts

Am I missing something? Is there a way to do this via NetInfo Manager that I haven't tried yet? Idealy I need the ability to RSH into my SGI without being asked for a password or user account. Some one please help

ROMAN

If you read the top of the .hosts file in the /etc directory, I believe there is a comment about the system not actually using the files. They are there for compatability if you boot into single user mode only. For everything else, lookupd (and hence, NetInfo) is used.

If I remember right, there is a directory in the NetInfo database that you can add extra hosts (I did this on my system, but I can't remember exactly how I did it... I could probably post instructions if someone was interested).

(BTW, I think that lookupd will check DNS before using the hosts definitions (since I always get a lag the first time it does a lookup), then it uses a cached value. I've been poking around to find a way around that.)

Back