RIAA sues Internet Providers for allowing MP3 downloads.

As soon as I read that article, I went to that site and downloaded an entire CD. If the RIAA hadn't sued because of them, I never would have known that it existed. After I used it, I told about 75 people online that never knew it existed either. Thanks, RIAA, for all the free music I could ever want! This will save me a lot of time! On a separate note, after a few hours http://www.listen4ever.com redirected to http://www.mp3mediaworld.com/ which I find confusing and unusable....any ideas as to why that happened?

I can't get on it either... shame, they should've made sure it was up with the free advertising from the RIAA.:p

I still dont think that the RIAA gets it.

Sure, they have the right to protect their property, they're a consoritum of companies, and companies that get ripped off can't survive.

BUT, why would they avoid this new area of the market when it is in such demand that people will conscienciously break the law. These are normal law-abiding people.

More specifically, why has no record label orginized itself an online music service with quick downloads of "real" CD-quality files? I'd gladly pay.

To think that the RIAA can still hold its users for ransom at $16-$18 a CD when often times one is only looking for a few of the tracks from the album. And guess what? Even if you wanted to buy a single (which was already inproportionally expensive) the record industries have decided to discontinue them, or make them very hard to find.

So, the RIAA, in its attempt to protect its property and earn money, has actually corrupted its user base while ruining its business model.

It's a supply and demand market, and the RIAA keeps on cramming the wrong supply down the throats of those who demand.

I once saw "pirates love music, the RIAA does not" in someones signature...it was that or something along those lines. At the beginning I scoffed at it but I keep thinking about it and I am forced to conclude that pirates (which is what we music downloading people are) love music, while the RIAA could care less and want to make a buck. If teh CD is a flop, no prob, just move on to the next big thing to feed the consumer. It sickens me! :mad:

I have found COUNTLESS pieces of music that are just invaliable. These pieces of music are not played on boston radios! They are Korean, chinese, japanese, vietnamese, russian, german, french, british,italian songs (and many many more) that get no air time They are songs from genres like house, trance, dance, tecno, happy hardcore, and other styles that the record companies in teh USA dont push for one reason or another.

If it werent for the MP3 format I would NOT be able to sample songs from around teh globe, genres that I love, but from artists that I know nothing about because I live here, in the states, and they live in korea, japan, greece, italy, germany, russia...(and the list goes on).

The RIAA holds us all hostage everytime we go buy a CD. Granted there are CDs that I have bought and I have enjoyed my purchase to the fullest extent (Bl?mchen's "f?r immer und ewig" comes to mind --- no mocking please :p) because I liked most if not all teh songs. Other CDs or even worse IMPORTED COMPILATION ALBUMS cost an arm and a leg! I once paid $40 for a stupid imported CD (it was modern talking and I liked about 1/3 of the songs on the CD).

talk about singles ? $6 (or more) for a single -- bah!

The only reason they dont sell CD quality songs (without copyright protection) online is because they cant fetch this much $$$ when they do it online. If people see $3 or $4 per song they will freak!

In line with AdmiralAK's ideas regarding the RIAA, it should allow people to go online, select the songs to go on a CD, and have it custom made. I hate buying a CD just to get a few songs I really like. The RIAA must change its business model. Even if the internet service providers block LimeWire and XNAP, other alternatives will surface. The RIAA will NEVER extinguish MP3 trading, it's here to stay, and Steve Jobs is correct, the record companies should not be fighting this, they should change their business model.

lol...lets shell out our money and give it to them...
One thing I dont get...
Money is exchanged for goods and services...right?
If you go to a car mechanic to fix something and he fixes stuff u dont need fixing and charges you for it, will you not complain ?
If you go to McDonalds and ask for a burger without tomatoes (cause you are alergic or something), and they give you one with tomatoes and they charge you for it, will you not go back to exhange it or ask for your money back and leave ?

Why should teh RIAA be exempt from this ? :p

The difference is, whereas the RIAA sells you a package that inculdes both things you want and dont want, the mechanic and McDonalds realize that people will be seiously unhappy if they can only get their windshield fixed if they buy a new engine too, or if people can only get a special order hamburger if they buy a big mac too.

Unfortunately, the RIAA doesn't seem concerned about recieving any of the boatloads of input that it has been sent.

Poor RIAA, they're going to die a slow painful death... :D

Doesn't is seem hard to not just simply characterixe the RIAA as "Evil"?

They never seem to be able to make a single choice that the informed public agrees with. I think most businesspeople would see that as a problem...

Back