Right-Click Delay Hell

A few questions:

1. Are you on a network?
2. Do you run Extensis Suitcase?
3. Do you run Microsoft Office (any programs in that suite) while Extensis is on?

Let us know if any of these factors apply. thanks! :)

1. Are you on a network?

Yes, but the delay occurs on and off networks.

2. Do you run Extensis Suitcase?

Yes, but see below.

3. Do you run Microsoft Office (any programs in that suite) while Extensis is on?

Yes.

------

Here's the latest. I went through the trouble of reinstalling OS X a third time and ONLY installing Portfolio. Sure enough, I get the delay immediately. This seems like pretty good evidence that Portfolio is a lead culprit (though others may also apply).

It's not a universal effect however. It seems that virtually all Apple apps (Textedit, Safari, others...) incur the delay, but Mozilla is unaffected. So it seems that while Portfolio may be the catalyst, there's something on Apple's end that's also helping the effect. At least it seems that way.

-------

My next time wasting effort will be to see if I can uninstall Portfolio to remove the effect. BTW--Are all you other Portfolio users experiencing this? My test was to launch Safari (make sure it's quit first) and load the Apple homepage and right click the mini iPod image. My iMac takes ten seconds to get the first drop down menu, my G4 takes about five seconds and our other G4 takes as low as three, which is still lame. If you quit Safari and redo the same task, you get the delay again. Mozilla shows no such delay. Weird.

The good news is that Portfolio 7 is announced and I warned them about the issue, so they damn well better look into it.

After an entire day of this nonsense of installing the OS and apps, I finally narrowed it down to the specific file:

/Library/Contextual Menu Items/PortfolioCM.plugin

If you remove that plugin, right click delay is no longer. As soon as you put it back in, the delay is back.

Problem solved!!!

Needless to say, I recommend all Portfolio users dump that file unless they really really need contextual menu support integration with Portfolio.

Mr mindbend, you absolutely do rule!
My right click delay in your text edit test was nineteen seconds! You can probably imagine how mad this has been driving me and this is the only place I've found mention of the problem, let alone the solution. Thank you very much. The annoying thing is I've never used Portfolio, a friend installed it while he borrowed my TiBook and deleted it before giving it back.

Kick ass! I thought all my work had sort of gone to waste in that nobody else cared or had the problem. Cool! One life saved. 19 seconds, holy crap.

Bugger! Just came across this thread today. Only 2 days ago I re-installed Panther on my Powerbook because of the same problem!

I thought the reason was Fruitmenu, but thinking back, I TRIED to install Extensis suitcase on the same day.

The thing is, it never did install properly, just kept crashing, so I got rid of all the files. Obviously I didn't get rid of THAT one!

Good to know my PB wasn't going up the spout though!

Back