RIP Apple PDA rumors, hopes...

d8n_two

Registered
...hello Apple cell phone rumors, hopes? Jobs thinks the PDA is on it's way out, but seems awfully interested in the next generation cell phone market. He spoke about it in the financial conference call. During the Q&A session Steve is asked about emergence of the iPod and iSynch, and how the PDA may fit into this plan. Though he says the cell phone industry was something they didn't want to tackle three years ago, he never says they might not do it in the future. You can tell in hearing him that Apple has done some market research in the area of next-gen phones. The following is a complete transcript from the PDA/cell phone discussion by SJ.

Jobs:

"Well, I think the PDA is going to go away...replaced by new generation cell phones. See you're going to be able get all, you're going to be able to view all the information on a cell phone that you can on a PDA. The PDA will allow you to enter information, modify information somewhat, and that will fall into a few camps. One will be modifying phone numbers which is quite reasonable to do on a phone. One will be modifying calendars which is not reasonable to do on a phone. And another will be other kinds of things: taking notes, what have you, that are not reasonable to do on a phone. The question is what percent of people want to do those three things. We think it's fairly small. We think the large number of people want to have their information viewable on the phone, to enter new phone numbers on the phone, but the number of people who want to run applications, custom applications or vertical applications, or enter calendar information or scheduling information or other kinds of more sophisticated information is a fairly small number. And since everyone's gotta carry a phone anyway, as the phone gets much better, that creates a greater and greater threshold that the handheld organizers have to cross before you carry a second device. And we're not seeing and I personally don't know what's going to happen there, but I think the phones are going to win...By the way, let me say one other thing...we have the best customers in the world. They are wonderful. They love to tell us what we are doing wrong, and they love to tell us what we're missing. Actually, we love that. We all read a lot of e-mails everyday from people we don't know telling us what we ought to be doing. And we love it. Some of them are right. We just have to sort the wheat from the chaff. And one of the things we've gotten for the last four years is you oughtta make a handheld. You oughtta make a PDA. We spoke a lot about this. We're not capricious about these things, and we decided three years ago that the projectory of the handheld was to get subsumed into future generation of cell phones. That's why we didn't get into that business. Because we decided that getting into that business is getting into the cell phone business, and that wasn't something we were ready to tackle. An we see it happening now. This new generation of cell phones is pretty incredible. So some of the PDA manufacturers may morph into phone manufacturers. I'm not suggesting that they are going away. I'm suggesting that the PDA is going to have a dramatically smaller market as the cell phone takes a big hunk of people are using PDAs for now...(Asked if iPod might develop phone features) We gotta be careful here. I don't want my television to make toast. I really like those to be separate devices. iPod is primarily a digital music device, and it has a lot of things in it that you wouldn't put in a phone. A phone has a lot of things in it you wouldn't put in a digital music device. You have to make sure one plus one doesn't equal one and a half. Which you can easily do.
---

Something to chew on.

d8n_two

Will Apple's new Alliance with Sony Ericsson mean an apple branded Ericson phone in the near future?

Is there actully an alliance with Sony/Ericcson or was their representative just there to talk about the direction of their own hardware, Bluetooth and OS X's ability to communicate with it.

I just hope if they do come out with some kind of wireless phone/device that it's not limited to one carrier (i.e. Cingular). It would suck if you couldn't use an Apple product because you use a different carrier. Anyway, this is getting a little ahead.

d8n_two

I think the fact that Jobs had not only the guy from sony/ericsson but some guy from cingular there kinda says somthing...

On another note, I didnt know that Cingular had a "C.E.O."... they are a devision of SBC and as far as I know, all of SBC falls under one C.E.O... but then again, im in internet here, and cant really speak for the other business units..

Steve has something up his sleeve, he has to.
They wouldn't just start charging .Mac for no reason at all, something big is coming. I can feel it in my bones. :)

I think so too.

Something is coming this year. Not only new power mac with new case and speed bump up.

Something is coming because I remember Steve said he felt good about someting (he didn't specify) at the first financial conference call this year.

LOL...I just love that when we think of the computer that we use we get excited...

Macs are something special...Apple has tapped into something here that will make it very hard for them to ever go under.

I'm excited about Apple getting into any market...if they bring us a cell phone I'm sure it will have something that makes it the best around...Apple has a knack for doing that :cool:

I've just been writing down the rumours I've heard through the last two weeks, anyway, so I might also share them with you on here... Goes like this:

Some years (!) ago, Apple reserved the domain name 'iphone.com'. Rumours eventually started to crop up about either an application for internet telephony or a device, a cellphone. Recently, I've acquired information about two projects under way at Apple. And they have not really anything to do with internet telephony for your Mac.

The first project I've heard about is called 'navi', which is a term from an Anime series called 'serial experiments: lain' that has various references to Be, Apple, the Macintosh and Newton (which was originally called the 'Knowledge Navigator', where 'navi' stems from). Project 'navi' at Apple is an operating environment for small(er) devices. This could be anything from a simple file viewer to a real PDA - but the project was not directly related to any device at the beginning. Its purpose was to have an operating environment that could be used and extended on several devices. More about 'navi', which has also been dubbed Mac OS N, later.

Now to the second project. This would be the first device to make use of Mac OS N: The iPhone. iPhone would be a cell phone that consists mainly of a screen with embedded speaker and microphone. No keypad, no stylus. So... How to handle it? With your fingers, just like a 'real' phone. It's about the size of an iPod, a tad longer perhaps. The screen is very stretched at first look, it's a reflective LCD like Sony is using in their handhelds, and has a very crisp resolution (more than 150 ppi) of 640*320 pixels. If you're talking to a person via the iPhone, the screen looks outwards as microphone and speaker are on the back of the device (the full of the front is actually the screen) - or you're using the handsfree setting, where the speaker is loud enough for it - or you're using a headset so you can look at the screen (and use it) while talking.

Now back to Mac OS N, which is the driving force behind the iPhone. Mac OS N is first and foremost a media viewer OS. There is no Desktop or anything, but there is a Dock at the bottom of the screen. The screenshots I've seen are all taken from an early version of the iPhone. There are - at the moment - only five applications on the Dock: Web, Mail, iTunes, QuickTime & iPhone. Above the Dock, there's something like a 'controller' taken from a Gameboy with arrows left, right, up and down. The browser seems to be something like WAP 2.0, but it could also be a real HTML-browser displaying a very simple web page. It won't at all make sense to view 'real' web content on the device, as it's quite a bit to narrow for it - plus you need the interface elements _on_ the screen and they also take away space. Mail makes much sense if you're using your .mac account, as the structure of your directories is applied to the iPhone's Mail, too. iTunes on the iPhone works more like iPod, which isn't bad at all - it's only a bit confusing that the icon and brushed metal look make me think there's more to it than iPod functionality. The most important part, I think, is QuickTime player, which lets you view movies in MPEG-4. You'll have to rotate the device to view them, but they leave you at a 4:3 ratio screen for the movies at 480*320, which is quite good. There's also a full screen mode at 640*320 which is good for widescreen movies. The iPhone will have a harddrive at 20 or more GB, so you'll have quite some space for the movies, considering that a DVD 'backup' to MPEG-4 with audio takes about 700 to 800 MB. "10 movies plus 2000 songs in your pocket?" :)

The last item is iPhone itself. It has all the _normal_ features you'd expect from a cellphone, containing an address book and a dial pad. SMS functionality is contained within Mail, which I find a bit odd, but maybe it'll get its own icon.

sounds quite like Nokia Communicator without keyboard and clam shell, but with a chunk of a hard disc. So, pray tell how do you enter text to send an e-mail?

I really am curious about it, since comparing Communicator's tiny keboard with Palm-like handwriting recognition (as on Ericsson R380s), there really is no comparison. Communicator can be used for catching notes (obviously, in real time) on a meeting, whereas R380 can't. Not even with hunt-and-peck keyboard displayed, which BTW is way faster than handwriting input.

Friend of mine works in the PDA group at apple. They finished the software, they bug fixing etc now.

He was expecting a MW press release, but it didn't happen. This device is said to "revolutionize" PDA usage. it's not a PDA you'd recognize as a PDA.

Get it ?

I don't know much more than that. He wont say.

not to come across as a sceptic, but it seems a bit odd to me that you have this much detail on a product that up to this point hasnt shown up on any of the rumor sites..

still if you are correct it would be nice... i think they need to add a stylus though

Registrant:

Internet Multimedia
3856 Willowview Court
Santa Rosa, California 95403
United States

Registrar: Go Daddy Software (http://registrar.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: IPHONE.COM
Created on: 24-Aug-95
Expires on: 23-Aug-04
Last Updated on: 21-Feb-02

Administrative Contact:
Kovatch, Michael mike@NET-READY.COM
3856 Willowview Court
United States
(707) 526-0852 Fax -- (707) 569-0880
Technical Contact:
Kovatch, Michael mike@kovo.com
3856 Willowview Court
United States
(707) 526-0852 Fax -- (707) 569-0880

Domain servers in listed order:
NS.NET10.NET
NS1.NACIO.COM

Well so much for the domain name. Looks like they will have to buy it back.

Also wouldn't playing back movies and things on your phone burn the battery like nothing before?

It would be cool if 'Navi' existed though, even cooler if you could skin it like the Lain's Navi.

Originally posted by zerorex
I think the fact that Jobs had not only the guy from sony/ericsson but some guy from cingular there kinda says somthing...

On another note, I didnt know that Cingular had a "C.E.O."... they are a devision of SBC and as far as I know, all of SBC falls under one C.E.O... but then again, im in internet here, and cant really speak for the other business units..

Actually, Cingular is a partnership between SBC and BellSouth. It was created as an effort by the two regional Bells to compete nationally with companies like AT&T Wireless. Since it's separate from its partner/parent companies, it's logical that it has it's own CEO.

As for this next generation wireless stuff...It's really sweet. I had a chance to see a preview of AT&T's mMode tech on the newest Sony/Ericcson phone. I believe it was the same on Steve was using at MW. Even if Apple doesn't do anything more than Bluetooth synch, I'm so excited about getting this technology in my hands everyday.

d8n_two

you're right Lord Ophidian;
it sounds unlikely that a PDA/phone like this would be able to playback movies because even with today's best battery technology there simply isn't the juice for full screen playback (even though its a small screen, the processor-intensive video decoding is what counts).
Since my WallStreet PB doesn't have a built-in FireWire port, I use a NewerTech card and since that card isn't powered, whenever I plug in my iPod the battery just goes lower and lower. It lasted about 1.5 hours last time I plugged it in with constant HD access just like you would need constant HD access to watch a full movie length MPEG.

I always thought iPhone was going to be an iApp anyway like Net2phone so you could save on long distance? and I thought the project was abandoned and that is why the domain name was not renewed.

Back