ROKR1 starts in HK

chevy

Marvelous Da Vinci
Staff member
Mod
In Hong Kong, where I am for a short period of time, new adds are coming with ROKR-1. Beside the expected iPod colors, I was suprized by the "-1" at the end of the name as I didn't see it when I was in USA two weeks ago. Does that mean that we shall have several versions of the ROKR ?

its already been touted that there are still more itunes / moto phones to come from the partnership.

so i think its safe to assume there will be better looking / cooler phones on the way- they are already developing the new razr and pebl which will blow the rokr out of the watr...

Well you do get different model numbers for phones. I have the Sony Ericsson W800i. In some places it's just called the W800, others it's called the W800a. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing was going on here.

I think the ROKR, ROKR-1 etc. will later just be recalled as the "SUKR" phone. I'll wait until someone other than Motorola makes an iTunes phone before I judge the overall strategy of bringing iTunes to mobile phones - but as of now, it seems like Apple wants to prove that convergence ain't gonna happen.

I was considering the iTunes mobile, but I decided to get the W800i as it has a better camera. Also I despise motorola software, it's awful.

Convert said:
Well you do get different model numbers for phones. I have the Sony Ericsson W800i. In some places it's just called the W800, others it's called the W800a. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing was going on here.

W800 -> generic name

W800i --> Supports GSM 900, GSM 1800 and GSM 1900
(i = international)

W800a --> Supports GSM 850, GSM 1800 and GSM 1900
(a = americas)

the model numbers do mean something ;) they aren't just random :p

I would guess that '-1' means that it supports GSM 900, GSM 1800 and GSM 1900 as opposed to "E1" that supports Supports GSM 850, GSM 1800 and GSM 1900

Back