roll back Mac osx upgrade?

zeddeh

Registered
I am fairly new to Mac OSX and I just finished updating my OS to 10.4.3 However, now my spotlight rarely works and says "no results found" when I know there are files by that name on my hard drive. If it does work it usually takes about 30 sec, where before the upgrade it took maybe 2-3 sec.

I have looked on this forum for ways to roll back the OS upgrades but from the postings I see there seems to be no way to do this.

Is this true? I mean, what happens if an upgrade conflicts with a piece of software that you always use, how do you undo it? You can't possibly have to re-install the OS again, do you?

Thanks

bobw said:
In Terminal try deleting and rebuilding the Index

sudo mdutil -E /
Just in case bobw wasn't clear enough, this will force OS X to recreate your Spotlight index. If your main problem is with Spotlight, you should definitely do this before trying to downgrade. Downgrading in a pain in the butt any way you look at it.

zeddeh said:
I am fairly new to Mac OSX and I just finished updating my OS to 10.4.3 However, now my spotlight rarely works and says "no results found" when I know there are files by that name on my hard drive. If it does work it usually takes about 30 sec, where before the upgrade it took maybe 2-3 sec.
You might also want to take a look at Spotless: http://www.fixamacsoftware.com/software/spot/ - which is a great little utility for administering Spotlight.

zeddeh said:
I mean, what happens if an upgrade conflicts with a piece of software that you always use, how do you undo it? You can't possibly have to re-install the OS again, do you?
That's exactly the only remedy :( I've just had exactly this problem with 'CodeTek Virtual Desktop' which works fine under 10.4.2 but crashes under 10.4.3, so I had to down-grade. I was greatly helped by the fact, that I own two TiBooks with the exact same setup of the OS on partitions separate from the user folders. I could thus simply fire up one of the computers in firewire target mode, erase the whole OS partition using 'Disk Utility' and finally re-create the OS in it's previous state using 'Carbon Copy Cloner'

Why didn't you wait until the developer issues an update for Virtual Desktop? Can only be a matter of days, no?

fryke said:
Why didn't you wait until the developer issues an update for Virtual Desktop? Can only be a matter of days, no?
The problem was unknown to them. Usually, incremental changes of the form 10.4.2 to 10.4.3 don't break things in major ways. From 10.3. to 10.4 on the other hand, I did wait. It took me almost a fortnight to get one of my computers in the condition I wanted it with a completely clean install of 10.4.1 (yes - I waited for 10.4.1 until installing Tiger). Afterwards, I booted the others up in FireWire Target mode and used CCC to clone. The users accounts were re-established by using nidump before the upgrade and niload after the fact.
Bjarne,

I apologize that you are having problems with 10.4.3. You are the 3rd
person to report these problems in the past 12 hours.

Thanks for the details you provided. We'll try to figure it out. Bill

Bill Goldstein, Pres/CEO
CodeTek Studios, Inc

Back