Rolling credits in Final Cut Pro

ksv

web developer
Any good way to make professional looking rolling credits in Final Cut Pro 3? I know about the "rolling text" feature, but it's very basic, I can't align the text properly, set different styles/fonts etc. in the same text. Can't figure out how to add a picture in there either.
Is it possible in Final Cut or do I need an other app?

um, you have a number of options, create it in photoshop, bring it in and scroll from the motion tab controls. Make a centered text track, and scroll that, um, you can import flash swf files with this already done. Umm... I did them all, no dig deal as long as it is clear, legible and within the title-safe zone from left to right.
I think a png file will work fine, but depending on the format, you have to take into consideration of square pixels to dv pixels which will distort the text. A way around that is the 720-540 or something along those lines, which will resize to 720-480, I actually forgot what the conversion is, I need to get back to my video work.

Yea, DV NTSC is 720x480 pixels, but I'm using PAL, so it's 720x576 pixels ;)

The scrolling photoshop image thing is a good idea, although I can't find any option in the motion tab to scroll it? What would be ideal would be creating a file with the 720 pixel width and e.g. 2000 pixel height, and scroll it from bottom to top.

I saw a "Made with Final Cut Pro" badge in the rolling credits of a Hallmark movie (yea, that channel sucks, I know :p), and that would make me believe the app had a decent tool for making rolling credits, unless they've used an external app. Or are there any Final Cut Pro plugins for that?

Use the "title crawl" from Boris. remember to turn on the 2:1 deflicker if your text scrolls from top to bottom. It makes them look like they should when they pass through the TVs scan lines.

Erik

In the motion tab use the Center. You will see how the values change, the second text field is your vertical value.
A 2000 will place the image at the top, a -2000 will place it at the bottom off screen.

Originally posted by leomark
Use the "title crawl" from Boris. remember to turn on the 2:1 deflicker if your text scrolls from top to bottom. It makes them look like they should when they pass through the TVs scan lines.

Erik

Ah, yeah, that looks better! Thanks both of you! ;)

Back