Romeo: FREE app for T68i remote controlling Macs

fryke

Staff member
Mod
http://www.irowan.com/arboreal/

Well, soon after the first bluetooth remote controlling app for SonyEricsson mobile phones appeared (and cost something), Arboreal makes their client available. Haven't tried it, but free is better. ;)

Thanks for the link. This little gem is TONS better than Clicker. for everyone out there with a T68i - download this program and forget about Clicker.

Especially cool is the ability to use the joystick as the mouse. Pretty unreal.

Interface is also a lot better although you have to run the program instead of having it run as part of the System Preferences.

G

as a T68i owner, i have to ask....

why do you like romeo better? because it's free? i've tried both clicker and romeo, and i have to say, that i like clicker better. romeo doesn't support custom actions yet. hypothetically, i could write an applescript that does pretty much anything i want, and have it in the clicker menus... can't do that on romeo.

i have to admit, however, the mouse/joystick thing is kinda cool.

romeo claims to have "custom menu" support in the next release (the website states that it'll be this thursday..) so maybe we'll be surprised.

i guess i'm just trying to determine what criteria you based your statement of romeo being "TONS better than Clicker"

the actionscripting in clicker + GUI applescripting capabilities in OS X make clicker 'TONS' better. you can pretty much do everything you want. i've got a controller for VLC and quicktime. i can also set my display sleep to 1 minute so i can listen to music and sleep with my monitor off. it's grrrrreat!

But Bluetooth on all the time? Can you sleep while your head is roasted by those rays? ;)

crash, I like simple. I like opening an application and it's there. The user interface is elegant. I also think that programs like these don't lend themselves well to making a lot of money for the programmer so they should be free.

Originally posted by fryke
But Bluetooth on all the time? Can you sleep while your head is roasted by those rays? ;)

at first it was hard, but then again all the cellular rays, radio waves, airport waves, etc. drowned out the bluetooth rays ^_^

crash, gedankenspiel: i certainly hope that romeo will add features over time, and that's what usually happens with freeware. i don't want to bash clicker: it was the first of its kind and is certainly useful to many t68i/mac owners out there. but such a good idea was prone to be copied or adapted by others, and competition certainly will lead to good new software-gadgets here.

i guess the interface is a matter of taste, anyway, but the features will - at the end of the day - tell whether users will shell out the few bucks or not. however: it's great to have a free solution, too.

maybe clicker's developer could also release a free version of the software with a modular subset of all the possible features... (of course, without the AppleScript functionality...) just to keep competition a bit away from him...

Are these apps just for Ericsson, or any bluetooth-enabled device? It would be ever cooler if they worked with the Tungten/T.

i can see why you would like a simple interface, but doesn't it get in the way? with clicker, it exists in the background... you can configure it once, and forget about it. with romeo, it has to be running, and the window either takes up desktop real estate, or clutters up the dock. and, as i said, romeo has no applescript support.

i'm not saying i don't like romeo... it has one major thing that clicker doesn't: mouse control. however, i don't like the inability to change the menus, or make my own custom menu items.

fortunately for both of us, this is the mac os, and user preference dictates actions. you like romeo? you use it. i like clicker? i'll use it.

deal?

mouse control, of course, is a big plus for presentations, where you don't need applescript functionality if you have mouse control... to each his own... :)

Quick! I got a mail back from the author concernin Siemsn support. One of you has to go out, buy a Siemens S55 and a handbook in Java and mail it to him. Hurry!

Back