root password invalid

raven2

Registered
Have a client w/lab of iMacs running 10.3.7: after a power outage, his root password is invalid: he has tried booting from CD, changing password, rebooting from HD, password still invalid. These machines are not on a server - each hd has it's own image.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Did he try to re-change the Root password through NetInfo Manager (he/she needs to be an Administrator to do it)?

well - he tried at my suggestion but 'security' seems to be missing where he would change it so I don't know what happened there either...

The Terminal way may help, good call. When I had a similar problem in the past, to make a story short (including a re-install that did not work) was to simply change the Administrator password, logout, login and change the Administrator password back to what you want it. Then you be able to go to NetInfo Manager, use your Administrator password to make changes to change the Root password.

I think you can boot from a install disk and reset the password for the root. I did that a long time ago. NetInfo Manager should able to do the same.

Back