Root Password

jkohler22

Registered
Can someone please tell me how to find and change the Root password? I am not fimilar with Unix that much but I would like to be able to change a few things. I know it has something to do with "sudo" I think, but I need help.

Thanks

If you're sure you want to use root, this is how you do it.

There is no password set for root until you set it. To do this, go to your Utilities folder inside your Applications folder. Launch the app called NetInfo Manager.

Once inside NetInfo Manager you want to go to "Domain" and choose "Authenticate." This will ask for your administrator password (if you're the only user, then your password is probably your administrator pass). Now you can go to "Domain" and choose "Enable Root User." It will tell you that there is no password for root and ask you set one. Once you've set the password then root user access is enabled.

Now, you want to go to your Login settings in your System Preferences. Where it reads: "Display Login Window as:"...you want the "Name and password entry fields" button to be checked. This allows you to login as root at the Login screen. Save those setting and then log out.

Now you simply login with the username "root" and the pass you specified. You can go back to the Netinfo Manager and disable root when you're done. I'd highly recommend doing this when you're finished doing whatever it is you need root for. Hope that helps.

Back