root priviledges screwed up my system

hiya

Registered
ok...I am new to UNIX and everywhere I read....be careful of what you do while logged in as root. I fear I may have done something bad and I need help. I had setup a guest account on Mac os 10.1. They had created a file on my 10.1 partition that they would not be using any more. I tried to use my admin capabilities to get rid of the file.....but I did not have privledges to do so. I logged in as rot and changed my 10.1 and other partitions to alow admin to have read/write access. Now when I try and start classic as any other user then root, I get: "You are running classic without superuser(root) privledges. Ensure that TrueBlue Environment is setuid and owned by root, or reinstall your Mac OS X system software." Also, I have noticed that I can't start or stop web sharing without my root login now. It could be this way for other system programs now, and I just don't know about it. What happened? What did I do wrong? and is there any way to correct it without throwing my current OS build overboard and starting all over again. I have a SCSI card in my system that has to be taken out everytime I want to boot from a OS 10 disc...so I don't really want to wipe out my system if I don't need to.

PLEASE HELP

Thanks
hiya

I tried to input that into the terminal window and stumbled upon what may possibly be my main problem-

when I open the terminal window at the top the terminal states:
login: setgroups: Operation not permitted"

when I try to do anything....it gives me some error....for instance if I type in su for super user access, it says:"su: setgroups: operation not permitted"

I need help

so u could try to login as root again, and then do the terminal stuff :)
i think the terminal should still work for the root user.
if it doesnt, the best thing would b just to reinstall ur system again. its not a big deal as all ur apps and preferences will still b there after a reinstallation, as long as u dont format ur hd :p

Hay i did that too. I got the "You are running classic without superuser(root) privledges. Ensure that TrueBlue Environment is setuid and owned by root, or reinstall your Mac OS X system software." message. I just re-installed 10.1 over my current 10.1 and everything was fixed. None of my setting chaged or got lost either. Its so much easier than trying to figure out what caused it.

Twister:cool:

Back