Rosetta stopped working

bogey

Registered
Hello there!

On my MacBookPro, 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 1.5 GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11, all rosetta emulated applications as Apple Works 6, Toast 6, Microsoft Office 2004, PhotoshopElements 3 and so on, suddenly have stopped working. A short flash of the program symbols ist all I get when I try starting one of them. Everything has been fine for the last three years!

Before that, I noticed that I could not install the Security Update 2008-007 Intel, no matter if by software update or manually (for the download version I get only an error notice that the checksum failed, when I try to activate the .dmg). Other Apple software updates were installed without any problems.

How can I repair or reinstall Rosetta (obviously has to do with that, or not?) without a complete reinstall of Mac OS X 10.4.??? Any help would be highly appreciated!!!

Thanx in advance for any good ideas!

Firstly, I'd try running a permissions repair, just to ensure that the permissions for executing Rosetta haven't got messed up. If that fails, you could consider doing an archive and install (ideally after doing a full backup), which will preserve all your extra applications, accounts etc. Then download and run the 10.4.11 Combo Update (don't use Software Update), to bring your machine up to date. That should fix your Rosetta issue, plus any others.

Back