Rotten apple logo

Decado

Kallikanzaroi
Hi!
i noticed just the other day that the apple logo on top of my powerbook (see signature) had gotten some kind of dirt beneath it, in the layer between the white background (the back of the screen) and the see-through plastic that is in the shape of the apple.
I have no clue how this could have happened. it is 3-4 mm long and about 2 mm wide and shaped like a cigar. annoying.

any suggestions what i could do to get rid of it or what it could be?

Do you have a picture of the mark? I didn't think anything could get under the white plastic coating.

Could it be a part of the display? Don't know what. But I like Viro implied, I wouldn't see how the display Apple would let anything in.
Don't push the actual white section, because the display is flimsy, but try and see if the white section has fallen in a bit or something.

Hope this helps,

PS: Viro, where did you get your ram from? I wish to get some and wondered what the price was.

What you have behind your screen surface may be biological. Maybe you can move it with a thin brush.

it is very strange.
i could not get a good picture of it since my cheap digital camera is not able to focus on the thing beneath the plastic.
it looks kind of organic. like a small fly or something.
but it is probably something from inside the display since i cant figure out how it would have gotten inside. it has no effect on the screen, but it seem to be about 0.5-1 mm thick.
can a magnet hurt the display? otherwise, i was thinking about putting a magnet above it and see if it reacts.

I don't think the magnet could cause damage. But I know nothing lol.

The Powerbook does have a magnet on the latch port (fancy name for where the hook goes when you close the lid ;)), and I guess, when closed, the magnet wouldn't do much good to the Powerbook if it caused damage.

But don't take my word.

The "thing" can have been there from the beginning, but it is also possible is was placed by another biological and grow there. A thin brush hair could help.

chevy wrote:
"A thin brush hair could help."

but how would i get to it? is it safe to "open" the screen"?
the apple logo was as unmolested and white as my soul only three days ago, so it has not been there from the beginning. but perhaps it has fallen down from some higher place inside the screen.

There's four small hex screws on the side of the display, if you unscrew those you can pull the back of it off.

thanks for the tip!
but i'm really afraid that i would end up damaging the screen...
i am fairly technical in a as-long-as-the-only-tool-i-need-is-a-screwdriver kind of way. are there any risks involved? anything i should think of?

I think, as long as it isn't interfering with anything, you really should avoid taking apart the LCD monitor. Which would you rather have? A black mark at the back of your LCD or a broken LCD?

Nevertheless, this is still quite perplexing. Wonder what that thing is.

If it starts growing tentacles that slowly engulf your screen until all you can see is the Dock, on the other hand... :D

Arden said:
If it starts growing tentacles that slowly engulf your screen until all you can see is the Dock, on the other hand... :D

In that case, you might be better off calling an exorcist. :D

Back