Router and DHCP problem

Paul C

Registered
I have a Belkin router which has DHCP enabled with a range of 192.168.2.1 - 100, my Powerbook connects via WiFi with no problems but I have tried to connect my Xbox 360 via both my Belkin ethernet bridge (which won't work on through my Powerbook either) and official Microsoft wireless adaptor to no joy, the ethrnet bridge picks up a 169.x.x.x address and although the Microsoft adaptor says it's connected it does pick up an address at all, I have tried the below to no avail:

1. Disabling the wireless security
2. Enabling MAC address filtering and adding the MAC address
3. Resetting the router back to factory settings
4. Upgrading the firmware
5. Disabling DHCP and assigning manual IP addresses
6. Disabling the firewall (I was clutching at straws)

Any ideas cos it's cracking me up and I don't want to have to buy a new router! :(

Thanks in advance

Paul

Hi
The 169.x.x.x is an invalid IP address it makes up when it doesn't get one from the router. Did you do the software reset or the hardware? Have to tried another cable?

I have a Belkin wireless router also, with a USB network adapter. I use DHCP also via a cable modem.
On my G3 Powerbook, running OSX 10.4, i tried every configuration possible in network preferences.
Couldn't get the USB adapter to communicate with the router until I turned on filesharing (even though I am not file sharing!) I have personal file sharing and personal web sharing selected in the Sharing and Firewall [ System Preferences ]
I have only my powerbook on my home network (no printers, no other desktop computers, etc.) I am using TKEP (setup with the router preferences)
to prevent others from actually using my personal file sharing/web sharing. Just to be safe, I also use IPNetMonitor software, and have firewall advanced prefs set for stealth and no UDP traffic.
Hope this might relieve another's frustration.

Am I correct that you are trying to get your Mac to communicate with your router via USB? All Macs shipped for more than a decade have Ethernet for a reason. Apple also supports IP over FireWire, but not IP over USB to the best of my knowledge.

Back