router and iMac (G3)

Chuck Norris

Registered
We are trying to build a network with a PC, a router and my G3 iMac. Internet is working, but I cannot get access to it on my iMac.

Is it possible that a router and iMac don't function together? The pc functions with the router. The iMac functions normally, but not with the router.

Could it have something to do with "network prefences" on my computer? Can the iMac find the network for itself ("find automaticly") or do I have to change something?

Please write if you have any ideas.

greetings
C.N.

Any Mac will work fine with a router.
What operating system are you using on the Mac?
What type of connection to the internet do you have? Cable, DSL, Dialup?

This is for 10.3: In your network System Preferences, click Show: Built-in Ethernet. Under the TCP/IP tab, set Configure IPv4: Using DHCP. Let us know if this works.

If you Wan't to transfer files use Apache Web Server . Go to System Preferences and select sharin enable all of them and use your IP address for accessing it from another computer .
Oh I forgot something Go To home then Site put the wannabe shared files there.

What Type of router is it??

The system I use is mac OS X (10.2 I think). The internetconnection is cable.

The error I constantly get is: "server not found". When I plug in to the main cable (with login name and code) there is no problem. Just with the router I cannot get onto the internet.

Please help me if you have more suggestions.
C.N.

Bad or wrong (Crossover cable), bad port on the router?
Use a straight cable, not a crossover.
Router restricted to a certain number of machines?

Thanks for the suggestions.

We use a crossfader cable between the modem and router, and a normal cable beyond.

Is it posssible that the router is a restricted one? I have an old PC somewhere, I am going to try to connect this one, to see what happens.

The problem remains, so more suggestions are welcome. Greetings.

C.N.

Check your router's webpage for mac compatibility...
and also, have you tried to ping the router from your mac?

What make and model router is it?
Do you use a web interface to setup the router?

Back