Router/Hub

delyon

Registered
I need to buy a hub for my two machines. I also need it to act as a router.

One of my G4's has a probem with the modem. I want to use one to hook up to the net, and share it with the other system.

Currently I am using a crossover cable and brickhouse to share the net, but I am moving in 30 days and the systems will be in two spearate rooms. (besides i am always having problems with brickhouse)

Any suggestions on what I should buy? I don't have a clue, and I have been searching for what to buy.

I was told to buy both a router and a hub, but then I was told there are hubs that act as routers. I'm totally confused and looking for a little help.

Thanks

Okay, I'm by no means 'gifted' in this field, but I had a similar situation last week when I moved into a house a couple friends.

Each one of has (or will soon have ;) ) a computer. What I did was buy a router from Best Buy for like $70, it was a Linksys Router. Then all you have to do is setup the other computers using their webrowser and that's it. Couldn't have been easier.

From what I hear, hubs don't work all that well for sharing internet connections so a router would be the way to go for ya.

If anyone has more info for this guy, please share. :)

I assume this is for a Cable/DSl connection?

I would go withe the Linksys Cable/DSL 4-port router. It have a very slick config suite accessed via a web browser and it is very east to setup. Once you get one you'll be up and running in about 15 minutes. It is a great firewall and can do all sorts of fun stuff the make sure you broadband ISP has no idea you are sharing the connection (if they care)....

One caveat: I have one that also has built in VPN capabilities that don't seems to play very well with the PPPoE authentication i need to use with my earthlink DSL service.... :(

Unfortunately it's not a DSL connect. It's plain old 56k.

Cable company says not in my area.

but i will try the router anyways and see what happens.

thanks

Well, before spending money on a router, you could try geeRoute, a software routing application which uses the system's built-in capabilities to share an internet connection. You can download it at http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=11908&db=mac . You'll need Mac OS X to run it, so if you're using OS 9 I'd go for a hardware router (software routing apps for OS 9 are expensive).
With a software router, you could also still use a crossover cable to connect your Macs :)

I'm using a Farallon FriendlyNet router/hub which works well, and set up on a 2 Mac 1 Dell network. I'm using it with a cable modem, but it has a port for connecting with a 56K modem if you need to... even lets you share a parallel port printer. It cost me around $70, counting shipping, and set up in minutes.

Ok, I downloaded geeRoute. I doesn't work.

I am currently using brickhouse. Do i have to delete this or what? When it installed gee, the machine restared and nothing. I read on their site a window is supposed to pop up and viola!

I get nothing. The installed file says the following:

Optimization: No changes needed.
Optimization 100.0% completed
update_prebinding: reading changed files from package /Volumes/geeRoute/geeRoute1.0b1.pkg
/usr/bin/update_prebinding: None of the changed files can be re-prebound, so no need to do anything.

I can assume that means it doesn't work with my config.

I'm going to check on the Farallon, Linksis says they only have a 56k router for laptops.

Bye the way, I was also told that a crossover cable can only be a max of 10 ft. Is this true?

Thanks

Originally posted by delyon

Bye the way, I was also told that a crossover cable can only be a max of 10 ft. Is this true?

Thanks

No, like any other ethernet cable, it can be up to 100 m (about 300 feet) long, so you shouldn't get any problems there :)

Back