Router Question, DHCP?

richs2k1

Registered
I am new to networking so let me ask a couple of questions and you guys/girls can tell me if I am correct...

I have the DHCP server function enabled on my router. This mens it will distribute IP address to available network devices, correct?

If I set up port-fowarding I need to know the IP address of the network device that I want to set it up on, correct?

With the DHCP server function enabled on my router when the computer is on it will assign it an IP address of 192.168.1.100 and when I turn the Playstation on it is assigned 192.168.1.101. This, I know.

I want to turn the DHCP function off and assign the Playstation a unique IP and then set up the port-forwarding to that IP address. I want to do the same with the computer. So, do I set the computer network settings as "DHCP with manual IP address" and then type in the IP address I want it to have, and then do the same with the Playstation? And when I do that will the Playstation and computer tell the router which IP it wants?

Like I said, with the DHCP server funtion enabled on the router it assigns each network device a particular IP depending upon which was connected first (192.168.1.100, 192.168.1.101, 192.168.1.102,. etc). So I want to set my own IP address as stated above so I can set up port-forwarding.

Any ideas or suggestions. I am using a Linksys Etherfast® Cable/DSL Router which is not MacOS compatible but it does work. Although, when I set the computers network settings to "Using DHCP" the IP address and router don't appear in the panel like they should.

I'm stuck!

Thanks.....Rich

You need to turn off DHCP in the Router, define the address range ou want to use and then apply the IPs as you see fit.

Atleast that's what I did on my router and it works. I have a printer and a server on static IPs and the rest of the machines uses a DHCP-pool for their IP-needs...

Back