Roxio Popcorn

symphonix

Scratch & Sniff Committee
Name of Application: Roxio Popcorn
Creator: Roxio
URL: http://www.roxio.com/en/products/popcorn/index.jhtml
Why I am Nominating This: A smart, effective way of backing up DVD movies.

From the same company that produce Toast, Roxio Popcorn is an application specifically designed for backing up DVD movies. Before anybody starts screaming "pirate!" and calling the RIAA, give yourself a reality check. Who honestly would let little kids anywhere near the authentic "Finding Nemo" DVD? Who has ever lost a DVD movie due to an encounter with a three year old? Who here can add up more than $500 worth of DVD movies on their shelf? Keeping backup copies of movies you own is a right, not a crime.

The interface for Roxio Popcorn is nearly identical to Toast, but much simplified since its only purpose is handling DVD Movies. You'll still need a separate ripping program (I use MacTheRipper) and a handful of DVDs will also require extracting as well (for this I use DVD2OneX) though most will go straight from the ripper to Popcorn without error.

If a movie does require extracting Popcorn will tell you that there was a problem with the movie file, which means you won't be wasting blank DVDs on making useless coasters. So far I've made 0 coasters after backing up about half of my DVDs.

Popcorn doesn't require Toast. You can purchase it on its own if all you really need is DVD Backup. I think its really good value and will end up saving you much more money over a couple of years than its initial price.

I've used both Popcorn and DVD2OneX, and Popcorn is much faster for me. Works great.

Back